I posted a picture of the fried okra I made for dinner last night with the caption “Fried Okra just makes me happy!” By the response it got, I would guess that it makes many of you happy too. My mom always tells the story that when I was little and we would go out to eat at Golden Corral I would practically only eat the fried okra.
If you don’t want to hassle with it you can find breaded okra in the freezer section at many grocery stores. I on the other hand prefer to make it myself for a few reasons.
- I like to make it gluten free and dairy free for the whole family to enjoy
- I usually grow okra in the garden and this is a perfect way to use it.
- I just like to know how my food is made and prefer not to by processed food if I don’t have to.
If you are like me and would like to make it yourself. Here is the best recipe you will find. This stuff will knock your socks off. I am simple. I just like to eat it with a little salt, but if you like your okra with ranch, you can make your own with this homemade ranch dressing mix.
Fried OkraPrint Recipe
- oil for frying
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup Corn Starch
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds fresh okra sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup milk any type
- Pre-heat oil in a fryer, large, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven to 350 degrees F. You want it about an inch or 2 deep. Just enough to cover the okra
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, cornstarch, and seasonings.
- Dip okra in milk ( I used plain almond milk) and then dredge in cornmeal mixture to coat well.
- Carefully add okra to the hot oil and cook until golden brown. Careful not to over crowd. You may have to fry in batches.
- Remove from oil, drain on paper towels, salt, and then serve immediately.Gluten Free
- Make sure you are using a gluten free cornmealDairy Free
- Use a dairy free milk alternative such as almond, soy, etc.