When it is cold outside and you want to make something warm and delicious this Gingerbread Cake Recipe is PERFECTION!
The holidays and the colder months in general are a great time of year to enjoy the sweeter things in life. Specifically all things baked goods. I love a delicious slice of cake or a cookie with my coffee in the afternoons. They are also a great way to share time and catch up with friends. This INCREDIBLE Gingerbread Cake Recipe is one of my all time favorites and I had to share it with you!
You are going to need standard cake ingredients plus a 13x9 baking pan.
- Baking Soda
- Water or Milk
Follow the recipe card below beating together the butter and sugar, mixing in the molasses and egg, and stirring in the dry ingredients. Here is where this recipe is a bit different than usual. At the end you are going to stir in a cup of hot water or milk. This is going to make the batter a bit thin, but it does something to this cake to make it moist and delicious beyond words.
I say hot water or hot milk because you could use either. The milk does give the cake a few more calories, but I feel like it adds a bit of richness to the cake. Don't get me wrong, it is great either way.
Once your batter is ready you are going to pour it into a prepared 13x9 pan and bake it at 350 for 45 minutes.
Slice and serve warm. YUM!
I am a sucker for all things ginger inspired. So this cake is perfect by itself, warm out of the oven. You can also top it with
- Caramel Sauce
- Whipped Cream (Try this Coconut Whipped Cream)
- Ice Cream
- Warm Sliced Bananas
Really, I don't think you can do anything wrong to this cake...it is that good!
This recipe is perfect to be adapted for a gluten free dessert. Just substitute in your favorite gluten free flour blend. If it does not already contain a stabilizer, mix in 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum. As always, double check all of your ingredients to ensure they are gluten free.
You can also make this cake dairy free! Just use a dairy free butter substitute, and use the hot water instead of milk. Really, not many changes at all to make this cake so anyone dairy free can enjoy it!
Gingerbread Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13'' pan with cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the sugar and butter until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the egg and molasses and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir to combine.
- Afterward, slowly pour in the hot water (or milk) and stir until smooth. This will make a THIN batter.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Serve warm. Top with whipped cream, caramel sauce, or vanilla ice cream.
- Substitute your favorite gluten free flour mix and add 1 teaspoon of stabilizer (like xanthin gum) uniless your flour mix already contains it.
- Use a dairy free butter substitute and the hot water instead of the milk.