A little cup of sunshine to brighten your day. This Lemon Mug Cake is the perfect fast dessert that is ready in just minutes!
When that afternoon sweet tooth hits there is only one thing that can hit the spot. A quick mug cake is just what the doctor ordered, and this Lemon Mug Cake Recipe is the most perfect, bright, and cheery pick-me-up. Ready in about 5 minutes it make the best dessert for one.
Mug cakes are perfect because they are just so easy to make. Measure the flour, sugar, salt, & baking powder in your mug and give it a quick stir.
Add in the wet ingredients and the lemon zest and mix it one more time.
Microwave it for 1 minute the cake will be set. Depending on your microwave you may need more or less time.
Allow your cake to cool before frosting.
Sprinkles and an umbrella aren't necessary but they sure make this little cake more fun!
Gluten free mug cake is super simple to make. Just switch out the flour for your favorite gluten free flour blend. I love working with King Arthur Gluten Free Flour Mix. It is easy to find and makes a great substitution.
If eating vegan is important to you than you can use your favorite milk alternative. Coconut milk or Oat milk work perfectly. That is the only change you need to make to create a Vegan Lemon Mug Cake!
There are two types of people that love cake. Those that are in it for the cake and those that are in it for the frosting. If you are one of those that need a little extra frosting in your life try out this Mug Cake Frosting Recipe. Makes just the right amount of icing for this tasty cake.
Lemon Mug Cake
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour or gluten free flour mix
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp milk or milk alternative
- 2 ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- lemon zest
- Using a small whisk, mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, milk, oil and lemon juice in a microwave safe mug until batter is smooth. Grate some fresh lemon zest on top of batter and whisk into batter.
- Cook in microwave for about 1 minute. Top of cake should be dry. Let cool before eating. Add a frosting and sprinkles if desired.
- Use gluten free flour mix.