This post may contain affiliate links.
Go big or go home. That is what I did with this Homemade Nutella Recipe. I am always looking to expand my list of things I can make from scratch. I think I hit it out of the park this time! I hear everyone buzzing about how awesome Nutella is. I don’t put it on my grocery list often because it has dairy in it. Why does a chocolate hazelnut spread contain milk is beyond me? I made it my mission to make my own Nutella ….dairy free. I think that I nailed it. This was not only shockingly easy to make, but all I heard from kids was “Mmmmm…., is there more?” LOL. I can tell I will be making this again soon.
- 2 cups 8 ounces blanched hazelnuts
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons hazelnut oil or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the hazelnuts out on a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and roast until dark brown about, 12 to 15 minutes. Your house will smell wonderful. Watch them because they can burn easily. Transfer the hazelnuts to food processor or blender.
- Process the hazelnuts in a food processor until their oil is released and they form a smooth, loose paste, about 5 minutes, scraping down the bowl often.
- Add the powdered sugar, cocoa powder, hazelnut or coconut oil, vanilla extract and salt and process until fully incorporated, scraping the bowl as needed. This took another 3-5 minutes.
- The mixture will start to resemble the consistency of peanut butter. Transfer the spread to a jar or container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Store it in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
I highly recommend spreading a little nutella between 2 vanilla wafers. AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS!