Love essential oils, but can't figure out the best way to clean your diffuser? Check out these tips on how to clean an essential oil diffuser and how often.
Cleaning my essential oil diffuser is something that I used to struggle with. I placed my favorite oils in the diffuser and enjoyed all of the happy smells, but the next day my mood changed. Before you can put in another oil you have to clean out the previous essential oil, but how? These diffusers are handy, but they don't have an easy way to wipe them out.
What is an Essential Oil Diffuser?
An essential oil diffuser is an appliance like a cool mist humidifier that you can add drops of essential oils to. The essential oils make your home smell good without any artificial chemicals. Plus, you get the aromatherapy benefits of whichever oil you choose.
How to Clean an Essential Oil Diffuser
Remember to unplug your diffuser before cleaning.
- Fill your diffuser about half way with clean water. Make sure you stop well below the max line.
- Add up to 10 drops of pure white vinegar. This will help in removing the oils that are stuck inside the diffuser and on the glass or plastic pieces.
- Let the diffuser run for about 3-5 minutes to allow the water-vinegar mixture to disperse throughout the unit and clean it.
- Drain the diffuser completely.
- Using a cotton swab dipped in vinegar, clean the tight spots and corners of the diffuser to make sure that no spots are left dirty.
- Rinse with clean water.
- Empty again and you’re good to go.
- Use a dry cloth, or more cotton swabs or cotton balls to wipe the diffuser and dry it thoroughly.
How Often To Clean your Diffuser
So it is a good rule of thumb to clean your essential oil diffuser after each use. Even if you don't run the vinegar water mix for 3-5 minutes, be sure to drain your diffuser completely and place a little vinegar on a paper towel, or cloth and wipe it out.
By cleaning your diffuser after each use you are...
- prolonging the life of your machine
- preventing left over oils from blending with the next oils
- preventing corrosion on any of the parts of your diffuser
Essential Oil Blends to Try
Now that we have that out of the way, I have shared many essential oil posts in the past. Here are a few that have some blend recipes in them that are really good!
- 7 Essential Oils for Summer
- Holiday Essential Oil Blend Recipes
- Essential Oil Blends Recipes for Rollerball & Tips
More Cleaning Posts
- How to Clean Your Dishwasher In A Few Simple Steps
- 6 Tips to Help You Deep Clean Your Computer Keyboard
- All Natural Orange Vinegar Cleaner
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.