Baking and out of brown sugar? Don’t run to the store. Learn how to make brown sugar with things from your kitchen. Super simple!
I love to bake but I am not always the most organized person. There always seems to be an ingredient that I forgot at the store. If I can find a substitute or make it myself, that is a huge plus! Did you know you can make brown sugar in seconds? SERIOUSLY! It is the best kept secret in the kitchen!
How to Make Brown Sugar
Are you ready for how simple this brown sugar is to make? All you need is regular granulated sugar and molasses. THAT’S IT!
Add the molasses to the sugar. 1 Tablespoon for each cup. More if you want a darker sugar.
Start stirring. This is the point where you may question my state of mind. Don’t stop. Just keep stirring. 😉 I even have been known to dig in with my hands (washed of course) and work the molasses into the sugar.
When you are done you will end up with the freshet fluffiest brown sugar known to man. This stuff makes the best cookies! Just store unused brown sugar in an airtight container until needed.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsulfered molasses
- In a large bowl mix the sugar and the molasses together until combined completely. You may need to use your hands.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- You may double and even triple this recipe based on your needs.
- If you need a dark brown sugar double the molasses to 2 tbsp per cup of sugar.
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.