Love peaches and looking for the perfect summery dessert. This simple Peach Crumb Bars Recipe is sweet, easy, and splendid with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Peach season rolls around and I am all about everything peaches! From freezing peaches, to peach salsa, and then these Simple Peach Crumb Bars! They are almost too easy to make! Your can adjust the recipe to be gluten free or vegan if needed, and they are picture perfect with a dollop of whipped cream or scoop of ice cream. The ultimate summer dessert.
To make these Peach Crumb Bars you will need a few supplies.
And just a few ingredients
- Flour (or gluten free flour)
- Butter (or plant based butter)
- Baking Powder
- Milk (or alternative; oat, almond, etc)
- Corn Starch
- Lemon Juice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease your 13×9 pan.
In a bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon for the crust. Cut your butter into small squares and cut it in the flour. You can use a pastry cutter or a fork for this. If you have a food processor you can use it to pulse until the dough resembles coarse sand.
Mix in the milk or milk alternative. Just 1 -2 TBSP until the dough holds together when squeezed.
Press a little over half the dough into the bottom of your 13×9 pan.
In another bowl you are going to mix your peach filling. 5 cups of diced peaches along with the sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Drizzle with lemon juice. Once it is mixed pour on the crust in your 13×9 pan.
Finally you are going to use the rest of your crust dough to create a crumble topping. Just squeeze bits of dough with your hands and crumble it on top of the peaches. Try to get an even coating leaving some of the peaches peeking through.
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 50 – 55 minutes or until golden brown.
You can serve this warm like a cobbler or allow it to cool completely and then slice into bars.
While this recipe can be made with typical ingredients there are a couple quick modifications to make this gluten free, vegan or both.
Gluten Free – Substitute in your favorite gluten free flour blend.
Vegan – Use a plant based butter and alternative milk (oat, almond, soy, etc).
Once these are cooled they store best in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. (They won’t last that long because they are so good!)
Peach Crumb Bars
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter cold, or plant butter
- 2 TBSP milk or alternative (oat, almond, etc)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 cup diced peaches
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease or spray a 13×9-inch baking pan and set aside.
Crust & Crumble
- In a medium bowl stir together 1 cup of sugar, 3 cups flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Using a pastry cutter, blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Mix in 1 – 2 Tbsp of milk or milk alternative (oat, almond, etc.) Until dough holds together when pressed.
- Gently press a little more than half the dough into the prepared pan.
- Reserve the other part of the dough for the crumble topping.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and peaches. Toss to combine. Drizzle the lemon juice over the peaches and toss to coat.
- Pour the peach mixture over the crust and spread evenly.
Topping & Bake
- Using your hands, press together handfuls of the remaining crumb topping to create clumps. Scatter the clumps and remaining crumbled topping over the fruit layer leaving some peaches showing through.
- If using a glass pan, bake at 350°F degrees for 50-55 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely then chill before cutting or enjoy warm like a cobbler.