Summer is here and it is hot outside! My kids love frozen treats, and so do I! They hit the spot on a hot Summer afternoon. Last year I bought some Chocolate Covered bananas in the freezer section at the grocery store and was shocked at the high price. Not only are they easy to make, the ingredients are inexpensive. It should not be a high price item.
My favorite part about making my own is you can customize them. I love mine rolled in toffee bits! The kids love theirs with sprinkles, and I can use Ghirardelli Semi Sweet chocolate Chips to make them dairy free.
The only thing holding you back on these is your imagination. You could dip them in white chocolate, and roll them in macadamia nuts. The possibilities are endless. Here is how simple this really is!
Chocolate Covered Bananas
- 4 Large Bananas
- 1 Bag Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Tbsp Butter or Margarine
- Popsicle Sticks
- Toppings of your choice.
- Slice bananas in half with peel still on.
- Insert a stick in each half, and carefully remove peel.
- Place on baking sheet and freeze for atleast 24 hours.
- Melt chocolate chips and Margarine in a large jar on 50% power in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir. Repeat until chocolate is melting enough to dip bananas in.
- Dip Banana in chocolate quickly. Remove and top immediately.
- Serve or freeze until ready to serve
Start with some yellow, but not overripe bananas.
I have found..through recent experiments…that this works best with banana halves. You can do this with whole bananas, but without professional chocolate melting equipment it becomes difficult.
Leave the peel on the banana while you insert the stick. The peel carefully and place one a plate or in a pan to be placed in the freezer. Freeze the bananas for at least 24 hours to ensure they are frozen through.
When it is time place a bag of chocolate chips in a large glass with 1 tbsp of margarine or butter. I used a glass because this makes it easy to dip the bananas in. Microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds. Repeat until chocolate is melted enough to stir.
Immediately dip the frozen banana into the chocolate to coat. Very quickly sprinkle the banana with your topping of choice. The chocolate will begin to harden immediately because the banana is still frozen. So move fast.
You can then serve immediately or place back in freezer until ready to serve.