Need frosting for a mug cake but don't want to make a full batch of buttercream? This Mug Cake Frosting is a perfect small-batch buttercream recipe.
We love to make mug cakes at our house. They are so simple to throw together for a quick dessert, but my kids say it isn't a cake without some frosting and sprinkles. I can't say that I blame them. That is why I came up with this Mug Cake Frosting recipe, perfect for a small batch of frosting. It is just the right amount for a couple of mug cakes.
How to Make Mug Cake Frosting
Place all of the ingredients in a small mixing bowl and beat until fluffy. If you need, you can add more milk. If your frosting is too runny, add 1 tbsp of powdered sugar at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
This recipe makes 3/4 to 1 cup of frosting, depending on how much you whip it. That is a perfect amount for two mug cakes!
This frosting does not have to be only vanilla. Substitute your favorite flavorings to change it up a bit. Here are some suggestions
- Chocolate: Add a tbsp of cocoa powder.
- Strawberry: Add a tbsp of crushed freeze-dried strawberries
- Lemon: Add 1 tsp of lemon extract
- Orange: Add 1 tsp of orange extract
A couple of tips to help your frosting turn out amazing.
- Start with softened butter or butter substitute. It will give your frosting the best texture.
- For a richer vanilla flavor, you can use a vanilla paste instead of vanilla extract.
- Don't have a piping bag? Put your frosting in a plastic zip-top bag and cut a corner off for a quick replacement.
This frosting is easy to make vegan. Use a Vegan butter substitute. I have had some great success with the Country Crock almond butter baking sticks lately.
Mug Cake Frosting
- In a medium bowl, beat softened butter until light and fluffy, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of milk or cream, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Beat until smooth. Add up to 2 additional teaspoons of milk until frosting reaches your desired consistency.
Mug Cake Recipes
I am Amanda. Mom to 3 wonderful kids & lots of furbabies. Plus wife to my hubby, David, for 20 years (gosh that makes me sound old). In our house we love to get outside, have family fun, and enjoy all Florida has to offer (Hey, Universal!) We do all of that with a few shortcuts.