When you have an abundance of Summer Squash, there is nothing better to make than the BEST Squash Casserole. It's creamy, cheesy, and delicious!
I love living in the country. Small towns are the best. We have plenty of space to do as we please, grow gardens, have deer run through the yard, watch the sunset over the hay field, and more. The other huge perk is a sense of community. Just this week, I got a bunch of summer squash from my sweet neighbor — time to turn it into THE BEST Squash Casserole around.
What Size Pan for Squash Casserole
Ah, a southern summer classic side dish. Squash Casserole can be found on many church pot luck tables, and it is so good! You need a 2-quart casserole dish for this recipe, or you can always use a 13x9x2 pan to be safe. Those throw away aluminum pans from the dollar tree are also a lifesaver if you are taking this to a friend's house. No clean up necessary.
More Squash Recipes
If you grow squash or you know someone who does. You know you don't grow a small amount. When it comes in, you have a TON! If you are looking for squash recipes, you should try these Parmesan squash chips or this Cheesy Squash and Tomato Casserole.
Keto Squash Casserole
This recipe is so close to being super Keto friendly as it stands. Those darn crackers throw it off. So eliminate them. Top this casserole with some extra shredded cheese. You can also crush some Keto friendly crackers and sprinkle them on top for some added crunch if you desire.
The Best Squash Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 yellow summer squash medium, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet onion large, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup Parmesan grated
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup sour cream
- salt & pepper
- 1 sleeve butter crackers (like Ritz) crushed medium to fine
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the squash, onion, and butter until soft. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the Parmesan, Cheddar, and sour cream. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place in the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle the cracker crumbs evenly over the top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.
- Replace crackers with gluten free crackers.