This post may contain affiliate links.
I am always struggling to find new and inventive side dishes that everyone will enjoy. With Spring here, I am hitting the Farmers Market on Fridays and stocking up on fresh veggies. My helper and I decided to make something delicious with our veggies. This dish made everyone smile. Could have been the pieces of bacon I slipped in, but I had to make the veggies more appealing some how.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels - fresh,frozen, or canned
- 1 small onion chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese - optional
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until evenly brown. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tbsp of the bacon drippings.
- Heat the bacon drippings in the skillet over medium heat and toss int he zucchini, corn, and onion. Saute until tender but still crisp. (5-10 minutes)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place veggies in a large bowl and top with crumbled bacon and cheese if desired.
I started chopping the veggies and I heard this little pitter patter come around the corner. Then I heard “Oh, I can help you with that. I brought my knife!” My heart sank! I turned around and saw she had her wooden knife from her kitchen set. LOL She has become little Suzy homemaker lately. 🙂
So Audrey with her wooden knife, and me with my real knife got busy chopping veggies.
Once the veggies were chopped, I began to cook the bacon. We like ours super crispy.
Once the bacon was done, it was the veggies turn in a little bit of bacon grease. It made them happy!
Then everyone in the bowl. I topped the veggies with the crumbled bacon and a little bit of cheese. Serve with your favorite main dish. Perfect for with grilled chicken or pork chops.