I am always struggling to find new and inventive side dishes that everyone will enjoy. With Spring here, I am hitting the Farmers Market on Fridays and stocking up on fresh veggies. My helper and I decided to make something delicious with our veggies. This dish made everyone smile. Could have been the pieces of bacon I slipped in, but I had to make the veggies more appealing some how.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (fresh,frozen, or canned)
- 1 small onion chopped
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese (optional)
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium heat until evenly brown. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 1 tbsp of the bacon drippings.
- Heat the bacon drippings in the skillet over medium heat and toss int he zucchini, corn, and onion. Saute until tender but still crisp. (5-10 minutes)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place veggies in a large bowl and top with crumbled bacon and cheese if desired.
I started chopping the veggies and I heard this little pitter patter come around the corner. Then I heard "Oh, I can help you with that. I brought my knife!" My heart sank! I turned around and saw she had her wooden knife from her kitchen set. LOL She has become little Suzy homemaker lately. 🙂
So Audrey with her wooden knife, and me with my real knife got busy chopping veggies.
Once the veggies were chopped, I began to cook the bacon. We like ours super crispy.
Once the bacon was done, it was the veggies turn in a little bit of bacon grease. It made them happy!
Then everyone in the bowl. I topped the veggies with the crumbled bacon and a little bit of cheese. Serve with your favorite main dish. Perfect for with grilled chicken or pork chops.
I am Amanda. Mom to 3 wonderful kids & lots of furbabies. Plus wife to my hubby, David, for 20 years (gosh that makes me sound old). In our house we love to get outside, have family fun, and enjoy all Florida has to offer (Hey, Universal!) We do all of that with a few shortcuts.