Fall is around the corner. That users in the season for baked goods, apples, pumpkins, the smell of cinnamon… …..MMMM……and a nice warm cup of coffee. Some of the best things in life happen in the fall. Like the best baked doughnut ever! These are the only non-fried doughnuts I make, and they are fabulous! They are still light and fluffy and melt in your mouth delicious right out of the oven.
The catch, you will need a doughnut pan. But don’t worry they aren’t expensive and you will use it more than once. Especially with this Pumpkin Doughnuts recipe in your hands. 😉
The second catch. You will need to make more than one batch, so stock up on pumpkin. They literally hit the counter, took a cinnamon sugar bath, and I walked in the other room for 2 minutes. I came back and they were gone. The little vultures smelled them and devoured them. Don’t worry, if you make too many I am sure you can find someone to help you eat them, or you can freeze them for another day!
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1½ cups pumpkin purée (canned pumpkin)
- 1½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1¾ cups + 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour (OR Gluten Free Flour Mix)
- Cinnamon Sugar (optional) to Top
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two standard doughnut pans.
- Beat together the oil, eggs, sugar, pumpkin, spices, salt, and baking powder until smooth.
- Add the flour, stirring just until smooth.
- Fill the wells of the doughnut pans about ¾ full.
- Bake the doughnuts for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven, and after about 5 minutes, loosen their edges, and transfer them to a rack to cool.
- While the doughnuts are still warm (but no longer fragile), top them with cinnamon sugar gently patting it down so it sticks.
- Cool completely, and store (not wrapped tight) at room temperature for several days.
- Use a gluten free flour mix. I used Gluten Free Bisquick and they turned out fabulous.