This post may contain affiliate links.
It isn’t Christmas without a plate of the Best Gingersnap Cookies! Get the recipe for this holiday classic cookie. It can be made gluten-free and dairy-free.
In this house we do Christmas Cookies. In fact, we usually make several kinds and love to give them as gifts. No matter how many cookies we make, or different recipes we try we always make these delicious Gingersnap Cookies every year!
The dough is very easy to make and my kids love to help out! My secret for evenly sized cookies is my trusty cookie scoop! Just scoop the dough and then roll it in your hands into a ball. Then toss it in the sugar to coat your dough ball and place it on a parchment lined cookie sheet. I find that these turn out better if you give them a little smush down to help them flatten out.
After a few minutes in the oven your house will smell like Christmas and these cookies will be done. Now, while they are warm they will be soft. This is my favorite time to steal a cookie! I love it when they are warm!
Place your cookies on a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way. As they cool your cookies will harden and get that snappy consistency that they are named for.
Then your only job is to grab a cup of milk or coffee and enjoy because these are truly the best Gingersnap cookies around!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour - sifted
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses - dark
- 1 tablespoon ginger - ground
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon - ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir the mixture to blend evenly, and sift a second time into another bowl.
- Place the shortening and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat until creamy. Beat in the egg, and dark molasses. Sift 1/3 of the flour mixture into the shortening mixture; stir to thoroughly blend. Sift in the remaining flour mixture, and mix together until a soft dough forms. Use a cookie scoop to create 1 inch diameter dough balls. Roll them between your hands and then roll each ball in cinnamon sugar, and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake until the tops are rounded and slightly cracked, about 10 minutes. Cool cookies on a wire rack. Store in an air tight container.
- Substitute an all purpose gluten free flour mix
- Use a dairy free shortening or margarine.
If you love gingersnaps
Crumble a few of them up and make these Gingerbread Cheesecake Bites! YUM!