Kick your cornbread up a notch! This simple but delicious Bacon Cheddar Corn Bread Recipe is simply incredible!
We were eating dinner the other night and my son said, "I wish this cornbread had bacon in it. Everything is better with bacon!" My hubby chimed in with "And Cheese! Bacon & Cheese!" Well, who doesn't like a good Cheese or/and Bacon Recipe?!
Well....there you have it. Apparently, everything is better with Bacon and Cheese. So I revamped my cornbread recipe to include both, and it is OFF THE CHARTS amazing. Plus I love that it is Gluten Free so my son can enjoy it too!
- 1 Tablespoon Shortening
- 1 1/2 cups enriched cornmeal
- 3 TBSP all purpose flour (I used GF Bisquick for gluten free)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 cups milk of your choice and 1 tsp vinegar)
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp. Bacon drippings (or melted butter)
- 1 TBSP Honey (optional)
- 4 slices bacon (cooked & crumbled)
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place the shortening in a 10 inch cast iron skillet, and preheat in the oven.
- In a large bowl sift together the dry ingredients. Stir in the Buttermilk, egg, bacon drippings, Bacon pieces, cheese and honey. Mix until combined well.
- Pour the mixture into the greased hot skillet, and place back in oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with butter.
- Use gluten free corn meal and flour mix.
I am Amanda. Mom to 3 wonderful kids & lots of furbabies. Plus wife to my hubby, David, for 20 years (gosh that makes me sound old). In our house we love to get outside, have family fun, and enjoy all Florida has to offer (Hey, Universal!) We do all of that with a few shortcuts.