Perfect with any meal or a little bit of jam; this is the BEST Gluten-Free Biscuits Recipe and there is a vegan option too!
Gluten-Free baking is something I have done for over 14 years. The ingredients and options have come a long way and now there are many times I can’t even tell a difference between regular & gluten-free items. I am finally happy I have the BEST Gluten-Free Biscuits Recipe to share! You can even make these biscuits vegan with just a simple modification! They are so good!
You will need the basics
Then you will need
- gluten-free flour blend
- baking powder
- butter (or vegan alternative)
- milk (or milk alternative)
- *xanthan gum (if not in your flour blend)
Preheat the oven to 450 and place the parchment or Silpat on your pan to prevent sticking.
In a mixing bowl add dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, salt, & sugar; stir to blend them together.
FOR BISCUITS, SHOULD BUTTER BE MELTED, COLD OR FROZEN?
Now there are two biscuit butter camps.; Melted or chilled and cut in. Each produces a different result.
- Melted – coats flour completely before baking creating a flatter, more tender biscuit.
- Chilled– creates little pockets of butter that allow for steam to occur in the dough. This creates a bigger biscuit with little buttery pockets.
Honestly, this is something you notice more in traditional baking. Gluten-free flour is a little different. I still personally chose the chilled and cut-in method and loved the final result.
If you chose chilled you can cut the butter into small chunks, use the back of a fork or biscuit cutter to blend the butter with the flour mixture.
Choose your type of butter and stir it in. Once the butter is incorporated add the milk. Stir just enough to create the dough.
Use a scoop or spoon to drop the dough on your cookie sheet. I did about 1/4 cup per biscuit. Give them about 2-3 inches of space between to bake. Bake at 450 for 10 – 12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
When the biscuits are done you can brush them with a little melted butter if you choose.
To make these biscuits vegan you only have to make a couple of small changes. This recipe only requires us to remove the dairy to make them dairy-free.
I used vegan butter (ie: Earth Balance or Country Crock Plant Butter).
Also, instead of milk use your favorite plant milk. I used canned coconut milk because of the fat content. It does great in baked goods. I also could not taste the coconut in the final product.
If you happen to have a Gluten-Free Sourdough going this is a great way to use your discard. Add about 1/4 cup of sourdough discard to your dough. Reduce your flour by 1/4 cup. This will really help your biscuits rise and be extra amazing!
Once you get comfortable with this recipe you can throw in some mix-ins.
- Herbs; Rosemary, garlic, etc.
Store any uneaten biscuits in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Can be stored longer in the fridge/freezer.
Gluten Free Biscuits
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Mix together gluten-free flour, *xanthan gum, baking powder, sugar and salt.*only if not in flour mix
- Add butter * see note* and milk. Stir just until moistened.
- Drop dough onto a lightly greased or parchment paper/silicone baking sheet lined large cookie sheet. I used about 1/4 cup of dough per biscuit.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges turn golden brown.