Prep ahead and make this simple Homemade Freezer Biscuits Recipe. So simple to pop in the oven before dinner!
It's 5 o'clock, and everyone wants to know what is for dinner. You hit the kitchen scrambling, and you are looking for something that isn't hot dogs. What to do? Well, I used to be you. Frankly, I still am you some nights. I have tried to plan and prep a little better lately, and this is one of my secret weapons. So, Pin it, Print It, Save it, cherish it with your life, because these are super easy and delicious!
DIY Homemade Freezer Biscuits! No more buying those store-bought hockey pucks that you don't "really" know what is in them. Now you can make your own homemade biscuits and pop them in the freezer for those days you are trying to fix a quick meal. You can make these Homemade Freezer Biscuits several batches at a time for large families or just one batch at a time for singles or couples. This recipe is very versatile!
How to Make Homemade Freezer Biscuits
First things first. Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, and Butter go in the food processor.
Pulse it until crumbly. Then slowly pulse in the milk just until the dough comes together. DON'T OVER MIX! If you do over mix, your biscuits will be denser and less fluffy.
Roll out your dough about 1/2 inch thick and use a round cookie cutter for your biscuits. Now, if you don't want to take the time to roll and re-roll the dough. You can use a knife and cut the dough into Even 2-inch squares. Then you are done in one swipe. You will have square biscuits....they taste just as good as the round ones 😉
Place biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet and place in the freezer until they are frozen solid.
You can then place them in a freezer bag and label them until you are ready for them.
Baking the Biscuits
When you are ready, bake them at 450 degrees for about 12 minutes or until golden brown. I had a helper watching them.
A little butter, maybe some gravy, and you have a fantastic treat in minutes.
Vegan Freezer Biscuits
Just a couple substitutions to make these dairy free/vegan. Use a dairy free butter substitute or shortening in place of the butter. Also use a dairy free milk. My favorite is canned coconut milk. It has the full fat milk flavor that these biscuits need.
Homemade Freezer Biscuits
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (or shortening)
- 3/4 to 1 cup milk
- Place dry ingredients and the shortening or butter in food processor and pulse until crumbly. You can also do this with a fork in a bowl.
- Add the milk gradually while pulsing until a ball forms.
- Roll out onto a floured surface and cut into biscuits. Round, square, triangle, totally up to you.
- Freeze on a cookie sheet for 1-2 hours. Then remove and place in a airtight freezer bag. Label.
- Place any amount of biscuits on a baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 12 minutes. They will be a bit fluffier if you allow them to thaw a few minutes before baking.
- Feel free to double this recipe to make a larger batch.
- Use shortening or vegan butter substitute and dairy free milk. I prefer canned coconut milk
Originally Posted June 2013. Updated March 2020
More Bread Recipes
- Homemade French Bread Recipe
- Simple Herbed Beer Bread Recipe
- Homemade Cornbread Mix: With Printable Labels
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.