This post may contain affiliate links.
A simple Christmas Craft that you can make with your kids. Check out these Homemade Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments. They make great gifts!
We have been making this simple Christmas Craft for years! It isn’t the holiday season if we don’t pull out these Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments, or make a fresh batch. These are so easy to make, and are great party favors for the holiday season!
Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments
You will Need
- Equal parts of cinnamon & applesauce – I suggest 1 cup each for your first time
- Rolling Pin
- Cookie Cutters
- Cookie sheet with parchment paper or wax paper
- Mix in a bowl and stir until well blended. Work mixture in hands for several minutes to form a ball. If the mixture is too dry, add a bit more applesauce. If it’s too wet, add a bit more cinnamon.
- Knead ball on the cinnamon sprinkled surface until it holds together well. Then, roll out using a rolling pin sprinkled with cinnamon. You can use your favorite cookie cutters or templates that you’ve drawn yourself to cut out your shapes. I like the ornaments to be a little bit thick. This helps keep them from breaking over the years.
- Place ornaments on a cookie sheet that has lose with cinnamon. Use a drinking straw to cut out the little circle that you will use to hang your ornament.
- Air dry for 24 to 48 hours – turning several times. You can also place the cookie sheet in a low temp oven (around 200 degrees), which will help them dry much faster. Remember to turn several times.
- When you pack the ornaments away, be sure to cushion them to keep them from breaking. And, if they start to loose their scent over the years, add a drop of cinnamon oil to bring back the wonderful aroma!
Save money and make this a VERY inexpensive project!
- Buy your applesauce in the large can in the bulk section of your super-mart
- Buy your cinnamon in the generic containers from the super-mart or the local discount store. I can usually find larger containers of cinnamon 2 for $1. It can be found at great prices at a warehouse store like Sam’s too!
Use different materials to hang your ornaments
Try using things such as;
- clear fishing line
- twine or hemp
- strips of homespun fabric – my favorite, as I buy it at super-mart for $1 pr yard!
Different ways to use your ornaments
1. Decorate a small Christmas tree using only these ornaments, then as your guests leave, take an ornament off and give it to them as a little gift.
2. Use as gifts for teachers, the postman, your hairdresser, or any other person that you need to give a little special something too.
3. Use them as a gift tag or package decoration by using paint to write the person’s name on the ornament.
4. Do you make baked goods or jar mixes as gifts? If you do, add one of your ornaments to the jar or package by using a strip of homespun fabric to tie it on.
5. Use your ornaments to make a beautiful garland!
6. Add to a wooden bowl of things such as; potpourri, rusty bells, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, apple rings, and dried orange slices.
7. You can add extra touches to your ornaments with acrylic paints, or glitter.
More Homemade Christmas
Make these Snow Globe Mason Jar Toppers