This post may contain affiliate links.
If you are looking for a fun and frugal gift idea, this is it! These crayon wax and pine cone fire starters are so easy, and can be made from dollar store materials as well. Perfect for starting up your fire place on a chilly night, these crayon wax and pine cone fire starters are just as festive as they are functional. Take a look below at how easy it is to craft your own.
Diy Crayon Wax and Pine Cone Fire Starters
- Crayons in your choice of color
- Pine cones
- Microwave safe bowl
- Parchment paper
For our project, we just used old crayons we had around the home and pine cones from our yard. If you don’t have either of these things, a trip to the dollar store is all you need!
1. Begin by peeling the wrappers off your crayons and breaking them down into half. Try to use crayons that are all of similar color and shade otherwise when they melt, the solution will just turn black or grey.
2. Place the crayon bits in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 20-30 seconds at a time until the crayons are melted.
3. Remove the bowl (it will be hot!) and stir the mixture well. Now, you will need to act quickly as you want to get your pine cones dipped before it hardens again.
4. Carefully roll your pines cones in the mixture. You may want to use a spoon to roll it as the wax is very hot.
5. Once the pine cone is coated, set it on a piece of parchment to dry. Drying only takes a few minutes.
You will now have beautifully color coated pine cones ready for display! Place them in a basket by your fireplace and when you need to get a toasty fire roaring, all you need to do is toss one in for a boost. You can always bag these up for a gift, or just use them yourself for some festive fun.
Grab your supplies and give this simple crayon wax and pine cone fire starters craft a try!