I have been wanting cookies for days. I guess I was just too lazy to get in the kitchen and make them happen. Cinco De Mayo is this weekend so I thought I would stick with that theme and make these decadently sinful Dulce De Leche Cookies. The cookies are a shortbread type and the filling is that gooey sweet and creamy dulce de leche (caramel). Basically when the 2 meet…magic happens. The longer they sit the caramel softens the cookies and they get even better, if that is possible.
You can use store bought dulce de leche, or even the caramel apple dip to fill the cookies. My personal preference, this homemade dulce de leche in the crockpot. I may be guilty of making 2 cans at once. 😉
Dulce De Leche CookiesPrint Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract plus 2 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of one lemon optional
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup caramel apple dip or homemade dulce de leche
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In mixer, beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar on medium speed about 1 minute or until smooth.
- Add egg yolks, rum extract, water, lemon zest, and vanilla. Mix on high speed, beat about 1 minute or until blended.
- In medium bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture until well blended.
- Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Shape dough into 3/4-inch balls and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Dip bottom of small glass into 1/4 cup sugar; press on cookies to make about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Bake 10 to 11 minutes or just until edges begin to brown. Remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Make sandwich cookies by placing 1 tablespoon of caramel in between 2 cookies.
- Serve or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator