Gluten Free Graham Crackers Recipe
Store bought graham crackers have nothing on homemade! In less than 30 minutes you can have a batch of these AMAZING Gluten Free Graham Crackers!
We are not new to the world of Gluten Free. We were gluten free before gluten free was cool. If that is even a thing. It has been about 12 years since we started our gluten free journey, and so much has changed! The availability of delicious gluten free alternatives and recipes makes life so much easier. This Gluten Free Graham Cracker Recipe is one of those delicious treats that shouldn’t be missed.
If you have ever baked gluten free you know that the doughs can be tricky. The dough for these is anything but! In fact, I said it is the prettiest gluten free dough I have ever worked with. I have plans to adapt this recipe to create other flavors of gluten free snack crackers. It turned out that good!
What you Need
If you bake often you will have many of the ingredients you need for these delicious gluten free graham crackers on hand. I used King Arthur Gluten Free Flour and had great results.
The vegetable shortening is just crisco, or similar brand. The shortening gives the cracker the snappiness it needs. You can use a margarine if it is easier for you to find.
You will need a rolling pin and a sharp knife or cookie cutter to create your graham cracker shapes. I am not usually one to tell you what brand or kind of supplies to use, but this rolling pin is life changing. It has adjustable ends that you can set to the thickness you want to roll your dough out to, so it is always uniform. I am in love with it.
How to Make Gluten Free Graham Crackers
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients with a whisk until the are smooth and blended.
- Create a well in your dry ingredients and mix in all of the wet ingredients, using only 2 tablespoons of milk at first.
- Stir until blended well and a dough forms. If you need to add more milk for your dough to come together add 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Roll out your dough to 1/4 inch thickness and use a cookie cutter or a knife to cut out your graham crackers shapes.
- Transfer your crackers to the baking sheet. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the top of each. You can also add cinnamon sugar if desired.
- Bake at 325 for 15 minutes or until your crackers are firm to the touch.
- Cool them completely before enjoying. They will get crispier as they cool.
- Store uneaten gluten free graham crackers in an airtight container.
This recipe originally calls for only 1 egg. It is very simple to replace with some egg replacer or a chia egg.
I love this Gluten Free Graham Cracker Recipe for so many reasons. One of them is it is so simple to make vegan or make other substitutions and it still turns out fabulous. To make these vegan simple use a dairy free milk (like coconut milk), dairy free shortening, and follow the egg substitution above. Now this recipe does call for honey, which you can omit if you don’t use it. That is it!
These graham crackers can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature. You can also put them in a freezer bag and freeze them for up to 3 months with no problems.
Gluten Free Graham Crackers
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar packed
- 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 to 4 tablespoons milk at room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, xanthan gum (if not already in your flour blend), baking soda, baking poweder, salt, cinnamon and sugars. Stir with a whisk to make sure it is blended and free of lumps or clumps.
- Create a well in the center of your dry mix. Add in your wet ingredients; molasses, honey, vanilla, egg, and 2 tablespoons of milk.
- Use a spooon to stir this mixture together well until a dough forms. You may need to add additional milk 1 teaspoon at a time until your dough comes together.
- Once your dough forms turn it out onto a piece of parchement paper and using a rolling pin roll it out to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Then using a knife or a cookie cutter cut out your graham cracker shapes. I used a square cookie cutter that worked perfectly.
- You can reroll any scrapes to create more crackers.
- Place your cut out crackers evenly on the parchement lined baking sheet, allowing a little space between crackers. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the top of each cracker. You can also sprinkle the tops of the crackers with cinnamon sugar if desired.
- Bake at 325 degrees F for about 15 minutes. You want your crackers to be golden brown and dry and firm to the touch.
- Allow them to cool completely on the baking sheets. They will firm up as they cool. Store in an airtight container for up to a week. You can also freeze them in an airtight container for longer storage.
- Use a dairy free milk substitute and a dairy free vegetable shortening or margarine.
- You can use an egg replacer or a flax egg in this recipe.
I made these three times, finally the third time I remembered to add the shortening. You should probably include that step in your instructions! Otherwise it’s a great recipe.