The best peanut butter cookies recipe and it just happens to be vegan and gluten-free. Chewy and delicious, this easy-to-make recipe is a must for the cookie jar.
One of those iconic, classic cookies with the crisis cross stripes on top that everyone gravitates toward in the cookie jar. This easy Peanut Butter Cookies Recipe is a must to have on hand because not only is it one of the best but it can be made vegan and gluten-free without losing the quality of the cookie.
Over the years my cooking methods have changed due to food allergies and my kids. First, it was dairy, then gluten, and in the last couple of years egg was thrown in for good measure. We still enjoy food, but it has made me a bit of a food scientist when it comes to baking. I want my kids to enjoy things that don't taste like there have been restrictions. That is one reason I love this peanut butter cookies recipe. You wouldn't know you were eating a Gluten-Free Vegan Cookie. It's delicious!
To make these cookies you will need.
- Peanut Butter (or other nut butter alternative)
- milk (or plant based milk of your choice)
- vanilla extract
- flour (or gluten free four blend)
- baking soda
This is so easy to do. My daughter made these for me today.
Simply preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
In a large mixing bowl beat together the peanut butter and sugar until creamy using a hand mixer or stand mixer.
Add in the milk and vanilla, stirring to incorporate.
Finally add in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Stirring again until at dough is formed.
Using a cookie scoop or spoons drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto your parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle each dough ball with a little bit of sugar and use a fork to create the crisis cross pattern in the top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
The only substitution needed for this recipe is to use your favorite gluten-free flour blend. I have been using King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour with great results.
Store these cookies in an airtight container on the counter for up to 5 days. You can also freeze the finished cookies, or dough balls for fast homemade cookies whenever the mood strikes. Learn more about freezing cookie dough here.
Easy Peanut Butter Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with silicone mat, parchment paper or leave ungreased.
- In a large bowl, add the peanut butter and sugar and mix until creamy.
- Stir in the milk or alternative and vanilla.
- Next, add the flour, baking soda and salt, mix to combine. The dough wiil be thick. You can use your hands to finish mixing the dough if necessary.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfulls onto the cookie sheet. Space them about 2 inches apart. Using the back of a fork, flatten in a crisscross pattern and sprinkle with a little additional sugar (or salt for a twist).
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until cookies are golden around the edges.
- Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transfering to a cooling rack.
- Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Can be refrigerated and frozen for longer storage.
- Use gluten free flour mix and add in 1 teaspoon of xanthan gum.