Need a yummy appetizer for game day or any day? Check out this easy, Fried Pickles & Tangy Dipping Sauce Recipe. Plus you can even make it gluten-free!
There comes a time when you find yourself doing things that you never thought you would do. One of them for me, Frying Pickles. Yup, just not a big enough pickle fan to think I would ever fry them up for a snack. However, the Food Network told my husband that I should make Fried Pickles. Does that ever happen to you? Darn Food Network fills my families heads with all sorts of ideas. Off to the kitchen. My husband now thinks I am now the best wife in the world which made the 15-20 minutes I just spent in the kitchen worth it!
I tasted a fried pickle, because what kind of cook would I be if I didn’t eat my creation. I decided that if you are a fan of Salt & Vinegar chips, these are a tasty treat. The tangy dip I made to go with them, adds a spicy creaminess to them. I handed the bowl over to my husband and kids, and they were gone within minutes. So, I must have done something right.
How to Make Fried Pickles
Start with dill pickle chips drained very well, you don’t want them to be too soggy. Go ahead and heat your own in your pan now to about 350-375 degrees.
Dip the pickle chips in seasoned cornstarch. I did it one at a time for demonstration purposes. It is faster doing several at a time.
Next, you are going to dip them in egg wash. I added a couple dashed of hot sauce to it to spice the fried pickles up a bit.
Finally, toss them in the seasoned cornmeal until they are coated and then in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. No special equipment needed for frying. You can just use a cast iron skillet with some vegetable oil heated to about 350 degrees.
Fried Pickles & Tangy Dipping Sauce
- 1-2 Cups Dill Pickle Chips ( drained)
- 1 cup corn starch
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1-2 cups corn meal
- 1/4 tsp dill (dried)
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- pinch pepper
- Hot sauce
- Vegetable Oil (for frying)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
Tangy Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mayo
- 1 TBSP Ketchup
- 1/8 tsp dill
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1-2 shakes Hot Sauce
- Heat Vegetable oil in a pan to 350-375 degrees F.
- You will need three bowls. In the first bowl place cornstarch and season it with 1 tsp Chili powder.
- In the second bowl, you will need to whisk together 1 egg and 1 cup of milk. I added a couple of dashes of hot sauce for flavor.
- In the third bowl, mix 1-2 cups of cornmeal, 1/4 tsp dill, 1/2 tsp garlic salt, and 1tsp chili powder. Add a pinch of pepper too. 🙂
- Dip the pickle chips in the cornstarch mix shaking off the excess.
- Then in the Egg wash, finally coating them with the cornmeal mix.
- Drop the pickles into the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels
- Serve with Tangy Dipping Sauce.
Tangy Dipping Sauce
- Whisk together all the ingredients and serve with the pickles.
Originally posted in 2012. Updated in 2020.
Serve with the Tangy Dipping Sauce. DELISH!
More Appetizer Recipes
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.