This post was originally featured on our sister blog, Growing Gluten Free, that we just didn’t have time to give the attention that it deserved. For that reason we have moved The Best Gluten Free Sandwich Bread recipe here to A Few Shortcuts. Check out all the Gluten-Free Recipes that are here. You will love them!
When we started on this gluten-free journey, we mourned bread as we knew it. I never thought we would find a good tasting, soft, chewy bread again. I had lost all hope. We bought Udi’s gluten-free bread, and it was pretty good but still not the same. THEN….then, I found this recipe for THE BEST Gluten Free Sandwich Bread. It is like the holy grail of bread recipes!
This bread recipe is not like baking a gluten bread, but it is still easy enough to make! I mixed all of the dry ingredients (minus the yeast) and put it in a large Ziploc bag like a store-bought mix. That way all I have to do is add the wet ingredients and the yeast before baking.
A couple of the most important points.
- You must beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. There is no way around it. It makes the bread light and airy.
- The dough is more like the consistency of a thick batter.
- You have to let it rise at least a full hour. I know it is hard to do it wait…but!
This is the before and after rising of the dough right before it went in the oven.
If you are missing baked goods these Gluten Free Soft Pretzel bites turn out amazing every time. They are one of our favorite Gluten Free baked goods!
And after it came out and cooled. This bread is amazing hot out of the oven, but if you want to use it for sandwiches let it cool completely before slicing. I used my meat slicer to get even slices and then placed the bread in a gallon Ziploc in the fridge.
Isn’t it just gorgeous? Did I mention that this bread doesn’t taste gluten-free? It is chewy and moist, and soft, and simply perfect! The crust has an excellent flavor, which was one of my kids’ number one concerns about store-bought bread. Their crust wasn’t up to par.
The Best Gluten Free Sandwich Bread
Yield 1 loaf
If you are tired of buying holy store bought gluten free bread, check out this simply amazing recipe for the BEST Gluten free Sandwich Bread ever!
- 3/4 Cup Warm Water
- 1 1/2 TBSP Active Dry Yeast
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil, (or vegetable oil)
- 1 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 cups Tapioca Flour
- 1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1/2 cup Potato Starch
- 2 tsp Xanthin Gum
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Grease and flour a loaf pan. I used some rice flour to keep the bread from sticking.
- Combine warm water and yeast and let it sit for 5 minutes. While it is sitting beat egg whites to stiff peaks in the mixer.
- Add the olive oil and vinegar to the yeast.
- Slowly pour the liquids into the stiff egg whites while mixing at medium speed.
- Now add the dry ingredients. Mix for one minute until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the greased and floured loaf pan.
- Let it rise in a warm moist place for about 45 mins to an hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Cool completely before slicing.
- Store sliced loaf in an airtight container in the freezer for maximum freshness. Reheat in toaster, microwave, etc as needed
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @afewshortcuts on Instagram and hashtag it #afewshortcuts.