This Yellow Rice Recipe is full of authentic flavors and is super easy to make. Under 30 minutes from start to finish! Great with chicken or Black Beans.
Some foods can trigger memories that just bring a smile to your face...and tastebuds. Yellow Rice is one of those foods for me. This Yellow Rice Recipe is simple, authentic, and oh so delicious. The ingredients are very basic, and typically in the pantry. They come together in a way that is unique, full of flavor, and makes a perfect side dish.
What is Yellow Rice
Yellow rice is basically white rice that is colored by the spices turmeric or saffron when prepared. Yellow rice is traditional in Spanish and Cuban dishes, plus many more. The flavor is mild enough that you can serve it with a million different recipes. Oh, but it is my favorite with some chicken or black beans.
How to Make Yellow Rice
First step is to rinse your rice. Yes, put your dry rice in a colander and rinse it until the water runs clear, and then rinse it again for good measure. This takes away some of the additional starch that might make your rice gummy. No one wants gummy rice.
In a deep skillet sauté some onion, bell pepper, and garlic. This is optional, but it is a step I never miss. To me it adds a great flavor to the rice. Once your onion is soft, you can add your rice to the skillet, followed by the chicken broth, and your sazon seasoning. While you can use store-bought this homemade sazon recipe is really good and easy to make.
Cover and cook over medium heat until the rice absorbs all of the liquid, about 15 - 20 minutes. A few minutes before serving lift the lid and mix 1 to 1 ½ cups of frozen peas in the rice. They will steam from the heat of the rice and add a pop of color to your dish.
What to Serve
In my house yellow rice almost always accompanies some chicken thighs that have been seasoned with some sazon or some delicious black beans. You can really serve this side dish with anything you would typically serve rice with.
Store any uneaten rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze rice. Make sure to freeze it soon after cooking. Freeze it in an airtight container and use within 1 - 2 months.
Yellow Rice Recipe
- ¼ cup onion diced
- ¼ cup bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups white rice uncooked
- 5 cups water
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1 tablespoon sazon seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup peas frozen
- In a deep skillet over medium heat place your olive oil, peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute until soft.
- Place your rice in a colander and rinse until water runs clear.
- Add in rice,water, chicken boullion, sazon, and bay leaf to the skillet with the softened veggies.
- Give it a quick stir, cover and cook over medium heat until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid.
- Remove the lid and stir in the frozen peas. Cover again and allow the rice to finish cooking and the peas to steam.
- Uncover, remove the bay leaf and serve.