Need an activity for a rainy day or sensory play? Check out How to make Moon Dough! The kids love it! Plus, it can be made gluten-free!
There are many scenarios, but they all usually start with kids who are bored. Whether it is a rainy day, they are “bored,” or a little one needs something to do while the big ones are busy. This play dough is your salvation! Check out how easy it is to make Moon Dough!
What is Moon Dough?
It is a dough that the kids can play with. Think sand box, but it holds it’s shape like a play dough. It crumbles like sand but can stick together to make sand castles, shapes, etc. Moon Dough is perfect for little ones, for children that need sensory activities, and apparently, the bigger ones don’t mind playing with it either. 😉
I love making my own because I can also make it gluten free which can be an issue with doughs that are store bought. It is so much fun to pull out on a rainy day when playing outside isn’t an option! Just put the moon dough in a large tote and give your child scoops, cookie cutters, and molds. Let their imaginations run wild! I like to add a couple of drops of essential oils to help it smell great too!
How to Make Moon Dough
Make your own Moon dough, or cloud dough to keep the kids busy for hours!
- 8 cups flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil or baby oil
- Food color ( if you want to color it)
- Essential oils for fragrance (I used lavender)
- Pour flour into a large plastic container or tub and add food coloring and essential oils if you desire.
- Dump in the oil to the center and mix together with your hands until it is evenly distributed and the flour sticks together when you squeeze it. Add more oil if needed to get the correct consistency.
- Give the kids molds, scoops, and more and let them enjoy.
- This can be stored for a couple weeks in an airtight container before drying out.
- Use Corn Flour or other gluten free flours if your child has a gluten intolerance. I have also heard that you can make this using playground sand and oil (however I have not personally tried it)
Courses DIY, Kids,
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @afewshortcuts on Instagram and hashtag it #afewshortcuts.
I need to make two batches next time. Moon Dough was very popular at my house. Ha, even the little princess loved it!
If your kids love Moon Dough
They will certainly love making their own Homemade Bubble Solution!