Don't waste your money on those expensive Swiffer refills. Learn how to make your own Reusable Swiffer Refills! Super simple sewing project!
I love my tile floors. I can't imagine ever going back to carpet. The amount of filth that is contained in the carpet blows my mind. On the other hand, I must sweep/mop my tile at least once or twice a day because I have kids and a dog. They are pretty much the reasons why I feel like I am always cleaning.
One thing that helps is my Swiffer, but those refills get expensive quickly. Instead of buying refills I made some of my own. They work great, and I can just toss them in the washer! Perfect for a quick floor cleaning without dragging out the vacuum.
How to Make Reusable Swiffer Refills
What you Need
- Any flannel fabric
- Any cotton fabric
- Sewing pins (optional)
- Sewing scissors
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine
1. Wash, dry, and iron your fabric to prevent any shrinkage (this is a must, you don't want your Swiffer pads to shrink and go to waste)
2. Measure and cut an 8 1/2" X 11" piece of fabric from your flannel
3. Repeat step two with your cotton fabric
4. Place the backs of each of the fabrics together, lining them up evenly
5. (Optional step) if your not the best at sewing and you want to ensure your edges get lined up evenly, pin around all four sides with sewing pins
6. Sew along all four sides, making sure to do a back stitch at all corners and ends
7. Trim off any loose threads
Set your Swiffer on top of the cotton piece of fabric (you will be using the flannel side to clean) and tuck the four corners into your Swiffer. Use can spray a wood floor cleaner directly onto the floor to use as a wet pad, or without. Once you have used the Swiffer, just toss the reusable Swiffer refill in the washer.
To avoid fray after washing, you can use pinking shears to cut along all the sides or just trim off your frayed edges after washing
More Simple Cleaning Shortcuts
- How to make your own laundry detergent
- Simple Natural Cleaning with a Lemon
- How to Clean Outdoor Kids Toys
I am Amanda. Mom to 3 wonderful kids & lots of furbabies. Plus wife to my hubby, David, for 20 years (gosh that makes me sound old). In our house we love to get outside, have family fun, and enjoy all Florida has to offer (Hey, Universal!) We do all of that with a few shortcuts.