Childhood memories are full of vivid sights, smells, sounds, and tastes. There are few things that can trigger a memory like food can. Orangsicles are one of those unique tastes that you never forget. After that first lick you are hooked for life. I have taken that flavor and captured it in this Orangsicle Gooey Butter Cake.
I found this Orangesicle Cake Mix at Target the other day and I had to get it! I grabbed it and all of the other ingredients.
In a large bowl mix the cake mix, 1 stick of melted butter, and 1 egg. Beat and mix them all together until it looks like this. You could use margarine if you really wanted to but this cake isn't low cal....it doesn't pretend to be. Go for the butter. It just tastes better. 😉
Press the orange cake mix stuff into the bottom of a 13x9 inch pan. Do yourself a huge favor and line it with parchment paper. If you don't have parchment paper at least grease it well. Trust me. The parchment paper made a HUGE difference in getting these out of the pan easily.
Now it's time for the best part. Beat together 1 8oz pack of softened cream cheese, 2 eggs, and 16 oz of powdered sugar.
Pour it right over the top of the orange cake. Spread it out evenly with a spatula.
Pop that bad boy in the oven and let it bake for 35-40 minutes. You want the top to be cooked but not overly brown. Now let it cool. This is the most torturous part. I pulled mine out of the oven, went and ran errands, came back and they were still a bit warm. They were cool enough to pop in the fridge to finish cooling.
Once cool you can slice into bars. Really, you choose the size. I hate it when a recipe says cut it in a 2 in x 2 in square. What if I am really hungry? So go ahead, be a rebel. Cut those bad boys as big as you want. It isn't every day you make Orangesicle Gooey Butter Cakes!
Orangesicle Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 Orangesicle Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 stick of butter melted 1/2 cup
- 1 16 oz package powdered sugar
- 1 8 oz package softened cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a 13x9 pan with parchment paper or grease well.
- In a bowl beat cake mix, melted butter, and 1 egg until blended. Press into the 13x9 pan to form crust.
- In another bowl beat the softened cream cheese, 2 eggs, and powdered sugar until smooth & creamy. Pour over the crust and spread evenly with a spatula
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes until the top starts to brown slightly and is set.
- Remove and cool on the counter for about 1 hour before continuing to cool in the fridge.
- Once completely cool slice into bars (whatever size you choose...no judgement)