I am always looking for fresh and easy Summer desserts that are perfect for Memorial Day or the Fourth of July. Today I decided I was tired of trying to find the perfect recipe so I concocted my own. I like to get in and out of the kitchen as quickly as possible with minimal mess. Is that even possible? I swear I dirty every bowl in the kitchen each time I decide to bake something. I reached for what was already available in my fridge and pantry. That just happened to include some of my Homemade Sugar Cookie Mix.
I must be a glutton for punishment, because this is another one of those recipes that you need to wait on to cool before you can cut them. Find something to keep you busy: Shopping, game, etc. Otherwise that 2-4 hours of cooling time is AGONY! LOL Let me tell you what, while the waiting part stinks, these bars are so rich and creamy. The blueberries pop in your mouth to add the right fruity sweetness. They are a winner. I even took a plate to the neighbors. I am glad I did, or I may have eaten one too many.
- 1 pouch sugar cookie mix (or homemade sugar cookie mix)
- 1/2 cup butter (or margarine melted)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup strawberry jam or jelly
- 16 oz cream cheese ( -softened)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 lemon (- zest and juice)
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries (fresh )
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In bowl mix sugar cookie mix, butter, and egg until dough forms. Press the dough into a greased and floured 13x9 pan.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes
- While crust is baking beat together the softened cream cheese, eggs, sugar, Lemon zest, and juice until creamy. Set aside.
- When crust comes out of the oven allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Spread the strawberry jam evenly over the cookie crust, then top with the cream cheese mixture. Make sure it is spread evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle the blueberries over the top of the cream cheese mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the edges are golden.
- Remove from oven and allow the pan to cool to the touch. Transfer it to the refrigerator and chill for atleast 2 hours before slicing.
This recipe is so simple. Get your oven preheated and mix together the crust ingredients. I just used my largest measuring cup for this one. Then you press it into the 13×9 pan and bake the crust for 15 minutes.
After the crust cools for about 5 minutes. Spread the strawberry jam over the top. Make sure it is even.
Then it is time for the cream cheese mix. My favorite part. The lemon zest and juice give it a great fresh taste.
Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the strawberry jam.
Sprinkle the top with blueberries and bake for 35 minutes. Doesn’t it just look yummy?! Then we all stand around impatiently waiting for them to cool.
Once they have cooled and chilled in the fridge, cut and serve! AMAZING!
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.