Choose the flavors you love and make your own Homemade Oatmeal Packets. Great if you have food restrictions like gluten free and dairy free!
I am all for convenience. I have a ton of stuff to squeeze in a day, and waiting on my kids every craving isn’t exactly my idea of fun. As my kids get older, I see why people say that their's are eating them out of house and home. I am still trying to figure out where they put it all. My kids love oatmeal and these Homemade Oatmeal Packets are so convenient!
Gluten & Dairy Free
Unfortunately, I can not buy those pre-packaged instant oatmeal packets. They contain both Gluten and Dairy which are no-nos in my kitchen. My kids love oatmeal for breakfast. So, we have found a way to make homemade oatmeal packets, and still, keep them fun and tasty. The bonus is these don't have all those added chemicals and ingredients of store-bought packets.
How to Make Homemade Oatmeal Packets
Homemade Oatmeal Packets are so easy to make that the kids can do it all by themselves. They love personalizing their oatmeal packs. Great idea for a lazy Summer Afternoon, and then breakfast is ready for weeks to come!
Just simply measure out the ingredients and add then in a zip top bag. That is it. Choose you own mix ins like dried fruit, nuts, etc.
How to Prepare
Just like store-bought oatmeal packets, you will dump the contents of one bag in a microwave safe bowl. Add in ¾ cup of hot water or milk and let stand for 2 minutes.
We have even added the water or milk in cold and popped it in the microwave for 1 minute on high. Perfect oatmeal every time!
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets
- 3 cups Quick-Cooking Oats
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoon mixins dried fruit, chocolate, nuts, etc.
- In a food processor pulse 1 cup of oats until coarse powder.
- Mix powder oats with whole oats and brown sugar in large bowl.
- Mix in your flavor options...listed below.
- Place ⅓ Cup Oatmeal Mix in each ziploc bag or single serve container.
- To serve: Empty packet into a bowl. Add ¾ cup boiling water or hot milk. Stir and let stand for 2 minutes.
- For thicker oatmeal, use less liquid - for thinner oatmeal, use more liquid.
Gluten FreeMake sure you buy Certified Gluten Free Oats.
Dairy FreeDo not use powdered milk option. Use Milk alternative as a liquid for creamy oatmeal.
Mixins (Customize it to your taste)
- Any Type of Dried Fruit
- Powdered Milk (for a creamy taste)
- Pop Rocks (Fun Exploding Oatmeal)
- Chocolate Chips