Make them for yourself or to give as gifts. This Hot Cocoa Bombs Recipe will bring a smile to your face! Easy & Delicious.
I am totally on board with this fun holiday trend of making Hot Cocoa Bombs. Not only are they delicious but hot chocolate bombs make amazing gifts too. The bonus is you only need a few simple ingredients to throw them together! It makes a fun family activity for a chilly day!
- Hot Cocoa Bomb Mold
- Hot Cocoa Mix or Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix
- semi-sweet chocolate bars or chips (you can also use milk chocolate, dark chocolate, or white chocolate)
- sprinkles, dried mini marshmallows, melted white chocolate for decorating (optional)
To make Hot cocoa
- Hot Milk of choice
Wash and set aside your hot cocoa bomb mold on a pan or tray.
There are two different methods you could use to melt the chocolate.
Double Boiler: For the double boiler method, bring half a pot of water to a boil and place the chocolate in a glass or stainless steel bowl on top. The bowl should fit over the pot like a lid. The steam will heat the bowl. Add the chocolate chips to the bowl, whisking until smooth and glossy.
Microwave: To be honest, this is my favorite way. Its fast and easy. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and stir every 30 seconds. Stopping the microwave to stir the chocolate with reduce the chances of burning the chocolate. Once smooth and glossy, your chocolate is ready! I sometimes will add 1/2 tsp of coconut oil or butter. This helps smooth the melting chocolate.
Now that your chocolate is melted its time to assemble the shells. Use a tablespoon to scoop the melted chocolate into each mold. Use the back of a spoon to help spread the chocolate up the sides. Make sure the chocolate is spread in an even layer and there are not spots that are too thin.
Place the molds on a flat surface like a baking sheet and freeze for at least 15 minutes. This will harden the chocolate and allow you to remove it from the mold to be filled.
Make the Bomb
Once chilled, gently remove the chocolate shell from the mold. The silicone molds make it easy to peel them back to remove.
Two halves make 1 bomb. Fill one half with your hot cocoa mix add dried marshmallows, or sprinkles if desired.
Now for the trickiest part of this hot cocoa bombs recipe. Heat a pan over medium heat. Place the unfilled half of the chocolate shell on the pan for a second or two. Just until the rim begins to melt. Quickly put it onto the filled half to create your sphere. The melted edge acts as the seal to hold your bomb together.
Continue this process with all the bombs you want to make.
Now this part is optional, but fun. You can drizzle additional melted chocolate on the exterior of your chocolate spheres, top with sprinkles, and more. However you choose to decorate them.
How Does a Hot Chocolate Bomb Work?
This is my favorite part. Simply put your bomb in your favorite mug and pour about 8 ounces of hot milk over your bomb. Watch the magic happen! Stir and enjoy your delicious hot cocoa!
Vegan Hot Cocoa Bombs
YES, you can totally make these vegan! Use your favorite vegan chocolate and this Vegan Hot Cocoa Mix Recipe to fill them.
Best Hot Chocolate Mix for Inside Hot Cocoa Bombs
Try some untraditional White Chocolate Cocoa too! SO GOOD!
Tips & Tricks
- Use gloves when assembling your hot cocoa bombs to avoid fingerprints on the outside.
- Add tasty extras like crushed candy canes, caramel chips, extra dried marshmallows, etc.
- Skip the mix and drop your Hot Cocoa Bomb right into your morning cup of coffee for a Buddy the Elf Style Mocha that you will love!
I recommend storing these in an airtight container the fridge until ready to use. You can store them at room temperature also.
These Hot Cocoa Bombs make fantastic gifts! Give just the hot cocoa bombs or create a fun gift basket with mugs, spoons, hot cocoa bombs, and some homemade freezer cookie dough! YUM!
Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Hot Cocoa Bomb Mold
- 12 oz Semi Sweet chocolate Chips or chopped
- 1/2 cup Hot Cocoa Mix
- White Chocolate Optional
- Sprinkles Optional
- Wash and set mold on a pan or tray.
- Melt chocolate according to the package using a microwave or double boiler.
- Once melted spoon chocolate into mold covering each sphere evenly making sure it isn't too thin.
- Place filled hot cocoa bomb mold on a pan or tray in the freezer for at least 15-20 minutes to harden.
- Carefully remove the mold from the freezer and gently remove the chocolate shells from the mold. Set them on parchment paper.
- Two halves make 1 hot cocoa bomb. Fill 1 half with hot cocoa mix.
- Heat a pan on the stove top and place the second half on the pan for only a second or two to melt the rim. Immediately place it on the filled half to create a sphere. The melted rim acts like the glue to hold the two pieces together.
- Repeat with the other bombs.
- Optional: Melt additional chocolate or candy melts to drizzle the top of the bombs to decorate them and top with sprinkles if desired .
- To make hot cocoa with your bombs place one bomb in a mug. Top with about 8 oz of hot milk of your choice. Watch the magic happen. Stir and enjoy!