This post may contain affiliate links.
Christmas time means cookies! I love baking when it cools off outside! Here in florida it isn’t too cold but cool enough to bake these Simple Sand Dollar Sugar Cookies. The perfect way to celebrate being at the beach for Christmas.
You can use any sugar cookie dough, even store bought if you are short on time. This homemade sugar cookie dough recipe is very easy and turns out great every time. Plus you can make it gluten free, dairy free, or both.
These cookies would also be great for a beach themed party or luau! The kids loved that they looked like Sand Dollars, and loved eating them even more!
- 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter - or margarine/ 1 stick, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- almonds - sliced
- cinnamon sugar - for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In small bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- In the mixer beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. (This will take a few minutes on high)
- Beat in egg and vanilla until blended.
- Reduce speed to low and beat in flour mixture just until combined, scraping the bowl with a spatula.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoons, 2 inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Top each cookie with 5 sliced almonds to resemble a sand dollar. Dust with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until just brown around the edges.
- Cool and serve!
- Makes about 21 cookies depending on the size.
- Use a gluten-free all-purpose flour mix
- Use a dairy free margarine or even coconut oil.