There comes a time when you start to question why certain items are so pricey. We are an 80% Gluten Free Family. The 20% that won’t give in is my Hubby, and frankly, I don’t blame him. I still sneak a bite occasionally and live to regret it. Anyway, I love Larabars for breakfast. They are perfect for after a workout too. These bars are gluten free and normally so expensive! A box of 5 is $5.25 at Target. That adds up quick when you have four people eating on them.
Back to School is around the corner and I needed a lower cost breakfast bar option fast. Now, we love my homemade granola bars. They are to die for too, but I am on a Larabar kick, Cashew Cookie to be specific. So, I flipped the box around and read the ingredients; Cashews & Dates. ~Seriously~ That is it! And they cost and arm and a leg because???
So I busted out my food processor and made my own, and do you know what?! They are so good and identical, if not better than the Larabars. If you do not like Cashew Cookie, but like another type, I suggest flipping the box around and checking the ingredients. There are only a couple in each variety of Larabar, and very easy to figure out at home!
- 16 oz of Dates - whole or chopped
- 3 cups of unsalted cashews
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the cashews in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add the dates and vanilla, and resume processing until it all comes together in dough.
- Press into a foil lined 11x7 Pan, and place in the fridge to cool and harden.
- Cut into 1 inch by 3-inch bars.
- Makes about 20 bars.
Now as for cost.. 20 bars would cost you $21 retail. The ingredients for these 20 bars cost me….
- 16 oz of Dates (whole or chopped) $4.57
- 3 Cups of Unsalted Cashews $4
- 1 tsp Vanilla (made my own)
Total= $8.57! or $0.43 a bar!
While these still aren’t super cheap..it is much better than paying retail!
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.