Yes, I am on a breakfast kick. It is the most important meal of the day after all. My kids love granola; Bars, cereal, on yogurt, on ice cream, and just by itself. I like to make my own because I can tweak it to everyone’s individual tastes, and I know what is in it. No preservatives, chemicals, just whole foods.
Here is the recipe that works for us. Feel free to play with it, and your families favorites and make a treat that your family will love!
- 4 Cups Oats You can use Gluten Free
- 2 Cups Dried Fruit I used Craisins
- 2 Cups Chopped Nuts I used pecans
- 1 Cup Sunflower Seeds or Shredded Coconut or a little of both
- 1 Cup Honey
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Preheat Oven to 300 degrees
- In a large bowl mix Oats, fruit, nuts, and Sunflower Seeds or coconut.
- In a small saucepan heat honey and oil until they form a syrup...about 2 minutes over medium heat. Remove from heat and mix in vanilla.
- Pour Honey Syrup over granola mix and stir to coat.
- Quickly spread granola over large baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes. Stirring occasionally so it does not burn.
- Allow to cool on pan for 15-20 minutes and then break into pieces and store in an air tight container.