Appetizers and snacks are a big part of our diet this time of year. My girls’ birthdays are both quickly approaching. In fact, I will have a 4 year old on my hands tomorrow. We will have family and friends over for dinner to celebrate. Then Super Bowl time and all the indulgences that come with that. These Spinach & Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are perfect for all of the above!
After all that hustle and bustle comes valentine’s day and if you are planning a romantic night in, this is a fantastic recipe for a special appetizer treat. If you are watching your waist band, you can replace the pork sausage with turkey sausage to cut the fat and calories. You can even make the filling ahead and keep in in the freezer. Just pull out and thaw, stuff the mushrooms, and pop them in the oven. Makes the whole process much faster!
These tasty little morsels, are surprising low in calories and full of healthy ingredients. I don’t feel the least bit guilty for eating a couple of them when they popped out of the oven. I mean look at them, you try to resist stealing one!
Spinach & Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 1 package of Baby portabella mushroom caps
- 1/2 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (gluten free bread can be used)
- 1 pkg frozen chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup shredded asiago or Italian cheese mix
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt or garlic powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- in a skillet brown italian sausage
- While sausage is browning defrost spinach and drain liquid from it.
- Place browned sausage, spinach, bread crumbs, seasonings, 1 tsp olive oil, and 1/4 cup cheese in a mixing bowl and stir together
- Clean and Remove stems from Mushrooms.
- Fill each mushroom cap with filling.
- Place in a baking dish and drizzle with a small amount of olive oil. Top with the rest of the shredded cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and mushrooms are softened.
- Serve immediately
If there is extra filling place in an airtight container and refrigerate or freeze for another batch. Or use it to fill Large shell pasta for dinner later in the week.
Gather your ingredients, and preheat oven to 350.
Brown the sausage in the skillet.
Mix the sausage, spinach, bread crumbs, cheese, seasonings, and olive oil in bowl.
Fill the cleaned mushroom caps and place in baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and top with more shredded cheese.
Bake for 20 minutes.