A mini version of the traditional hispanic cake that everyone goes nuts for! Try this easy and delicious Tres Leches Cupcakes Recipe
I post recipes all the time. I am always baking, cooking, and taste testing to come up with new ideas. So please DO NOT take it lightly when I tell you that these are hands down, the best cupcakes I have ever put in my mouth. These Tres Leches Cupcakes are moist, and sweet without the sugar being over powering. I think it is that delicateness that makes them seem so light and decadent at the same time.
The cake itself is made from scratch and takes about 15 minutes (+/-) to mix up the batter, but it is very worth the time. Also, you are going to need to clear out some space in the fridge, because these need to chill a little while to absorb that wonderful tres leches sauce. Seriously…..MAKE ROOM. Go now and clear out an entire shelf, just shove everything out of the way! These are amazing and need to be baked ASAP.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 6 large egg (at room temperature, separated)
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk (whole or 2%)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extractTres Leches Sauce
- 1 can (14 ounces Sweetened Condensed Milk (save 2 tbsp for whipped cream))
- 2/3 cup Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup coconut milkWhipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Unsweetened flaked coconut (toasted (optional))
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line cupcake tins with 24 cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Separate eggs and beat egg whites in large mixer bowl until soft peaks form. With mixer on, gradually beat in sugar.
- Beat in egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Next, Alternately beat in flour mixture with milk, starting and ending with the flour mixture.
- Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Fill cupcake liners 1/2 full and bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool. While cooling make the tres leches sauce
- Poke holes in the cupcakes with a straw or fork.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of Tres Leches Sauce over each cupcake.
- Cover the cupcakes with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or over night.
- Before serving top with a dollop of whipped cream and some toasted coconut.Tres Leches Sauce
- In a large glass measuring cup or bowl whisk together all but 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk (the 2 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk is reserved to sweeten the whipped cream topping), evaporated milk and coconut milk.Whipped Cream
- Beat cream in small mixer bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold in remaining 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk. Use to top each cupcake before serving
I started by pulling out my tres leches “three milks”. Really these cupcakes have more than three, because I am also using regular milk, and whipped cream. So cinco leches! 🙂
The batter for these cupcakes is a little looser than I expected, so don’t worry. These are going to turn out amazing!
Fill the cupcake liners only 1/2 full. You need to leave space for the tres leches sauce after they bake.
After the cupcakes cool, use a fork, straw, etc to poke holes in each cupcake. You are then going to pour (or spoon) about 3 tablespoons of tres leches sauce over each cupcake. Don’t worry, they will absorb it all.
Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate. In a perfect world these would stay in the fridge 4 hours or over night. If you are impatient, they need to stay in the fridge atleast 2 hours.
Each cupcake gets topped with homemade whipped cream and toasted coconut right before serving. You could use canned whipped cream or cool whip….but it just isn’t the same. The homemade whipped cream is a gazillion times better. FYI.
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.