Amazing and easy dinner for any night of the week! Use leftovers or rotisserie chicken to make it even easier. Try this Simple Cheesy Chicken Empanadas recipe.
Can I just say that I am so excited about this weeks meal deal!? Not only is it a quick and easy meal, you can make it ahead and freeze them. Plus, what a great little appetizer for a party or a great dish to take to a party! Oh, I am just giddy with excitement. It is the simple things in life that make me happy…it doesn’t take much (obviously!) :)I have said a gazillion times, recipes come out of necessity at my house. This one was out of the necessity to have a recipe to share with you, and about 1 hour on the clock to come up with something. I made chicken for dinner with Lawry’s Baja Chipotle marinade. I swear by that stuff! I love…love…love it! I always make extra! So, I diced it up and came up with these little bad boys.
Feel free to take this one and make it your own. Use beef instead of chicken, add jalapenos, chilis, peppers, onions…whatever floats your boat. I kept them simple this time, but I plan on getting more creative with them next time.
So, here are my quick and easy Cheesy Chicken Empanadas!
Cheesy Chicken Empanadas
- 3 cups cooked chicken (chopped)
- 1 8 oz. package shredded Cheddar cheese (you could use any type you like)
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 15 oz. Package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg & water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a Baking Sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, cheeses, and spices.
- Unroll 1 piecrust onto a lightly floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll it into a 15 inch circle..Or close to.
- Cut into rounds, using a 3 inch cookie cutter or bowl. Re-roll dough as needed. Repeat with the remaining pie crust. Making as many circles as possible.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg and 1-2 TBSP water. Arrange 1 dough circle on a clean flat surface. Lightly brush the edges with the egg wash.
- Place 1 heaping TSP of chicken in the center of the round. Fold the dough over the filling, pressing the edges with a fork to seal. Place on baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining circles and chicken mixture.Freezer TIP: At this point you can freeze these and keep them for up to 1 month. Just place the baking sheet in the freezer until frozen solid. Then place in a freezer bag or container until needed. Label them clearly with baking instructions.
- Lightly Brush the tops of the empanadas with the egg wash.
- Bake in oven at 400 degrees F for 15 Minutes or until golden brown. Serve with rice or by themselves...YUM!
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.