The Best Coca Cola Cake Recipe doesn’t come from a box or a restaurant. This scratch Chocolate Coca Cola Cake is simply incredible!
Chocolate cake is a pretty important dessert. Once you have a great recipe you should love it and use it often. Every once in a while that cake should be kicked up a notch or even two. When you are looking for something extra special, turn to the Best Coca Cola Cake. This chocolate cake is moist delicious and has that cola flavor throughout. This cake is fabulous!
To make this cake you need some simple ingredients that you probably have on hand.
- baking soda
- vanilla extract
- cocoa powder
- buttermilk or milk
- powdered sugar
You will also need
- 13×9 pan
- mixing bowl
- mixer (stand or hand)
How to make Coca Cola cake
There are recipes out there that are with a box mix. Honestly, there isn’t that much more work to making this Coca Cola cake from scratch and that is what makes it the best! Grab your ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and coat a 13×9 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and dust it with flour.
Now that we are prepared, in a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together. Set aside.
In a small saucepan combine cola, butter, and cocoa powder. Bring it to a boil, making sure the butter is melted, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
Add the cola mixture to the flour mix you set aside earlier. Stir until moistened.
In a small bowl whisk eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla until combined. I do this right in the measuring cup sometimes to save on dishes.
Add to the rest of the mix and stir until the batter comes together. Pour into your prepared 13×9 baking dish.
Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Then, check out the glaze below.
This recipe is a little different because you are cooking the glaze on the stovetop. Trust me on this one…it is worth it.
While the cake is baking sift your powdered sugar and set it aside. Then, in a small saucepan bring cola to a boil and continue cooking it down until it is reduced by half. This takes about 12 minutes.
Once it is reduced, stir in the butter and cocoa powder. Continue stirring until the butter is melted. Now remove from the heat and whisk in the powdered sugar until the glaze is smooth.
When your cake is done, you are going to pour the warm glaze over the warm cake and let the magic happen.
You can top your cake with chopped walnuts, whole walnuts, even peanuts, or just leave it as is.
Make this recipe with a twist. Change up the Coca Cola for Dr. Pepper or Root Beer. You could even just try a cherry coke. The small soda change can add a fun change in flavor to this already delicious cake.
Making a Gluten Free Coca Cola Cake is simple. Just switch the flour for your favorite gluten free flour blend. Also, you always want to double check your other ingredients to ensure they are gluten free.
You can make this cake dairy free by making a few substitutions
Use your favorite non-dairy milk instead of buttermilk (oat or coconut work well)
Also, use a vegan/dairy free butter like Earth Balance baking sticks.
- This cake is very similar to one served, at Cracker Barrel, dare I say better.
- Top the cake with chopped pecans for some added crunch.
- Sometimes this cake is called a Texas Sheet Cake.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for an extra phenomenal dessert!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container. Can be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Coca Cola Cake
- 12 oz cola
- ½ cup unsalted butter , cut into cubes
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 cups powdered sugar sifted to remove lumps
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Coat 13×9 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and a dusting of flour
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
- In a small saucepan, combine cola, 1 cup butter and cocoa powder
- Bring just to a boil and butter is melted, stirring occasionally
- Cool slightly
- Add to flour mixture, stirring until moistened
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla extract until well combined
- Add to large bowl and whisk until well combined
- Pour into prepared baking pan
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
- While the cake is baking, sift the powdered sugar and set aside
- In a small saucepan, bring cola to a boil, continue cooking until liquid is reduced to ½ cup, about 12-15 minutes
- Stir in the butter and cocoa powder and continue stirring until butter is melted
- Remove from heat
- Whisk in powdered sugar a little at a time until glaze is smooth
- Pour over warm cake
- Let set until firm
- Store leftovers in airtight container