“Snack”urday is usually all about the kids. Making a sweet treat with them and starting off the weekend on the right foot. This week, they have their friends over. Every single one of them is busy doing something else. I understand this is just the beginning of things to come as they get older and start to do more and more things with their friends. For right now, they are still little and it is just one night of giggles, movies, cookies, and toys.
While the kids are all entertained, I thought I would make a treat for me. Not my kids, not my husband, but me. We have to treat ourselves sometimes. For me, I love blackberries! I could eat a ton of them by themselves. I don’t need a special recipe or cobbler to bake them in. Just give me a bowl full of them and I am happy. I don’t think that would make a very exciting recipe post though. LOL I decided that I would treat my self to some fresh scones in the morning. The really good ones full of all the things I shouldn’t eat, like butter, buttermilk, and I threw in a handful of my fresh blackberries.
These scones took me 10 minutes to throw together. They were so easy, and they are melt in your mouth delicious. The bad thing is ....I think I know want fresh scones everyday. You will too. Feel free to change this by mixing in your favorite fruit if it isn’t blackberries.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Sift all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter until mix is crumbly
- mix in the buttermilk. If you don't have buttermilk you can substitute 1 cup of milk with 1 tsp. vinegar in it.
- lightly flour a clean surface, and Knead to form dough. Fold in blackberries. They will smoosh a little, but not too bad
- Divide dough in half and form into a circle.
- Place one half on a parchment lined cookie sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake the second half on another cookies sheet or in a second batch.
- Bake 15 - 20 minutes. Slice each round into 4-6 pieces
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and mix all of the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Cut the butter into small chunks. It makes it easy to cut into the flour. Cut the butter into the flour until it is crumbly like below.
Once your flour/butter mix looks like this mix in 1 cup of buttermilk or 1 cup of milk with 1 tsp vinegar in it.
Your dough will look like this. Then lightly flour a clean surface and knead the dough until it forms a ball. I then folded in 1 cup of fresh blackberries. They smoosh a little. But I was kinda careful because I love the fresh chunks of fruit.
I then cut the dough in half.
I placed half of the dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet and formed it into a circle. bake it for 15-20 mins or until it is golden brown. Do the same with the other half.
Slice the warm scone into 4-6 even slices and serve warm!
You can even make a simple glaze with 1 cup powdered sugar and 1-2 tsp milk to drizzle over the top if you wanted to get super fancy! YUM!