When we decide to take the family out to eat for a special occasion 9 times out of 10 we will hit a Mexican restaurant. They typically have something everyone can eat and the food is fresh. It doesn’t weigh you down like so many other cuisines can. My absolute go to thing to order is always taquitos or flautas. They are just delicious, with their crispy shell and all of the cheesy meaty goodness on the inside. The bad thing is…they are typically fried. So I know they aren’t the healthiest choice on the menu. Tonight I decided to mix our menu up a bit and make my own Taquitos, but I baked them!
I wasn’t quite sure how these would turn out when I started, and I made them a little more grown up by adding some spinach to them. They turned out absolutely amazing! They were very easy to throw together and this will be making the regular rotation at my house. I even made some without cheese for my daughter who is allergic to dairy and she loved them too! I made them super easy by throwing the chicken in the crockpot and making this Citrus Lime Crockpot Chicken. SO GOOD!
Chicken Spinach Taquitos
Yield 4 -6
- 1 Package Corn Tortillas
- 2-3 Cups cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese or cheddar
- 1 package frozen spinach
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425 Degrees F
- Coat baking sheet with olive oil or spray with cooking spray
- Warm Corn tortillas on a plate in the microwave covered with a moist paper towel for 1-2 minutes.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of diced chicken, 1 tablespoon of cheese, and 1 tablespoon of spinach long ways down the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up, starting with the straight edge. Place seam-side down on an oiled baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Brush the taquitos with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes, then turn them over and bake for until 10 minutes, or until crispy.
Chicken- You can use rotisserie chicken or this Chili Lime Crockpot Chicken turns out great too!
Did you make this recipe?
Tag @afewshortcuts on Instagram and hashtag it #afewshortcuts.