No more of those store bought cans of condensed soup. Try this Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup Substitute Recipe.
I have literally boycotted so many recipes in the past for containing a can (or two) of cream of something soup. Mostly because I have read the ingredients on those cans and I am not the biggest fan. Instead of skipping out on recipes, I learned how to make my own Cream of Chicken Soup Substitute and it is AMAZING!
This recipe calls for simple ingredients that most have on hand in their fridge and pantry. You will need...
- Chicken Broth
- Milk (or dairy free substitute)
- Butter (or dairy free substitute)
- Flour (or gluten free substitute)
- Salt & pepper
How to Make Cream Of Chicken Soup Substitute
In a small sauce pan melt the butter and whisk in the flour until smooth and bubbly.
Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk.
Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, whisking constantly, until the soup thickens. Give it a taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
How Much Does it Make
This recipe makes enough to equally substitute for 1 can in a recipe. However, you can very easily double, even triple, if needed.
This is perfect for casseroles, homemade soups, and so many other dishes.
One benefit to making your own Cream of Chicken Substitute is you can make it gluten free! Simple substitute gluten free flour in place of regular. That is it!
Some recipes are easily substituted to make them dairy free. That has been hard in the past if it calls for a can of cream of something soup. Now, you can just make your own! Follow this recipe using a dairy free margarine and your choice of dairy free milk.
To make this low sodium use a low-sodium chicken broth and limit the amount of salt you season it with our use a salt substitute.
Turn this recipe vegan by using a vegetable broth base and following the dairy free instructions. Makes a delicious creamy cream of soup base.
This can easily be turned into Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Celery Soup by adding in mushrooms or celery while cooking.
Other Soup Recipes
Give this recipe a try and see how easy and delicious it is! Once you do, get creative. Turn this substitute into your own creamy soups for dinner.
- Mix in cheese and broccoli
- Mix in Corn & Bacon.
- Spice it up with some other seasonings.
- Add more milk or broth to change the texture.
The possibilities are endless with this great soup base!
If you are going to make this ahead store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I do not recommend freezing this recipe. It is best made fresh or just a day or two before you will need it.
Cream of Chicken Soup Substitute
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup milk or dairy free substitute
- 3 tablespoon butter or dairy free margarine
- 1 tablespoon flour or gluten free flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a small sauce pan melt butter and flour together over medium heat, whisking ujntil smooth and bubbly.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk. Stirring while bringing it to a gentle boil.
- When thickened remove from heat and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Use gluten free flour and double check your other ingredients for gluten.
- Use dairy free milk substitute and dairy free margarine.