No machine needed for this Easy Ice Cream in a Bag Recipe! This delicious vanilla ice cream is ready in minutes! Fun recipe to make with the kids!
When that ice cream craving hits there is only one thing to do. Feed it! Even without an ice cream maker it is possible to make some delicious ice cream in just minutes with this easy ice cream in a bag recipe!
This is so simple, delicious, and a blast for kids! This turns into a perfect summer activity with a built in reward at the end
How to make Ice Cream In a Bag
In a quart sized zip-top bag place your cream, sugar, and vanilla. Zip it shut.
Next, you are going to place the ice and salt in a gallon zip top bag.
Place the small bag with the cream inside the gallon zip bag with the salt. Close it tight.
Now comes the fun part. Shake it! Keep shaking and moving the bag around for about 10 minutes or until your ice cream is frozen to the desired consistency. It can get cold so you may want to cover your hands with an oven mitt or gloves.
Pull the bag of ice cream out and serve! Freeze any uneaten ice cream.
Why it Works
This homeschool mom loves to be able to share how ice cream in a bag works. You know, the science behind it. May as well learn a little something.
The salt added to the ice lowers the melting point of the ice. This works just like it does when people add salt to roads in the winter. Basically, the salt makes the ice melt faster.
The ice doesn’t just loose cold though. It has to absorb more heat energy from around it. So in this case, it is absorbing heat from the ice cream mix and lowering its temperature allowing it to freeze faster.
Vegan Ice Cream or Dairy Free ice cream can be pricey. Make your own with this recipe! Simply swap out the heavy cream for canned coconut cream. Makes an AMAZING Dairy Free treat!
Time to get creative. Want to jazz up your ice cream? Mix-in some of your favorites once it is frozen. Here are some ideas
Store any uneaten ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Ice Cream in a Bag
- 1 quart size freezer bag
- Oven mitts
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 cups ice
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- To the quart size freezer bag, add the cream, sugar, and vanilla. Seal the bag. Shake well to combine.
- To the gallon size freezer bag, add the salt and ice. Shake to combine.
- Place the quart size bag into the gallon size bag with the ice. Seal completely.
- Using oven mitts or gloves to protect from the cold, encourage the child to shake and turn the bag for 7 to 10 minutes.
- Ice cream is ready to eat immediately or can be stored in the freezer in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
Vegan / Dairy Free
- Use canned coconut cream in place of the heavy whipping cream.