Who knew it was so simple to make this in your own kitchen. Check out this Homemade Chocolate Syrup Recipe. It's perfect for chocolate milk & more
It is so funny to me the ingredients I used to take for granted. I mean if you want chocolate milk you have to buy chocolate syrup at the store. Right?! WRONG! You can make your own homemade chocolate syrup for a fraction of the price that tastes so much better than store bought. Folks this stuff will blow your mind! You can even get creative and add some peppermint extract to make Mint Chocolate Syrup, or substitute in Orange extract for a Chocolate Orange Syrup. I will never buy store bought chocolate syrup again!
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and water. Continue to whisk until boiling.
- Continue boiling until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. The mix will be thin, but will thicken as it cools.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight glass container or plastic squeeze bottle.
- Syrup will keep for up to one month in the fridge.
This couldn't be any easier. Everyone in the pot over medium heat and then get to whisking.
This is what it should look like as it starts to come together. Just keep stirring as it thickens.
I found these bottles at the dollar store. I used a funnel to fill it. Now if I was just paying attention to how much I was pouring instead of trying to take a picture, I wouldn't have made such a mess.
I turned my back to get a glass of milk and my 5-year-old was squeezing the bottle to get it to ooze syrup. LOL. I am pretty sure it is a hit!
I am Amanda. Mom to 3 wonderful kids & lots of furbabies. Plus wife to my hubby, David, for 20 years (gosh that makes me sound old). In our house we love to get outside, have family fun, and enjoy all Florida has to offer (Hey, Universal!) We do all of that with a few shortcuts.