Love gravy? Don’t buy those nasty packets! Make your own Homemade Gravy Mix in minutes with this simple recipe!
I am always looking for ways to cut corners while feeding my family a little healthier in the process. This time of year if their are mashed potatoes on a plate, my hubby wants to know, “Is there gravy?” I will admit that I am not much of a gravy person. However I am surrounded by gravy loving people. I have bought the gravy packets many times. I blame the fact that I didn’t really care for it, so I didn’t want to make it.
Then I stood here in my kitchen and read the back of a gravy packet. ~sigh~ Have you ever read the back of one of those seasoning packets? The ingredients aren’t exactly something you know how to pronounce. If I can’t pronounce it, chances are I don’t want to eat it. I knew that I could find a simple solution. Here is my gravy shortcut.
Of course it wouldn’t be my house if there wasn’t also a gluten free version.
- 1 T corn starch
- 2 tsp bullion - MSG free & Gluten Free
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp ground celery
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Heat in a saucepan over medium heat with 1 cup of water or milk.
- Whisk continuously while bringing to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer for 1-2 minutes.
- **Makes a thicker gravy, thin it out by adding 1/2 cup more milk or water to the mix.
This gravy turned out even better than I imagined! It has the perfect amount of flavor! I got 2 thumbs up from everyone!
I got this picture of the steam rising up off the potatoes and gravy….it was just too awesome not to share!