This is one cake that will wow any crowd! Try this Strawberry Upside Down Cake Recipe that is bursting with strawberry flavor!
COMFORT FOOD! This Strawberry Upside Down Cake only took me minutes to throw together and put in the oven. The smell alone was worth the few minutes of trouble. When it came out of the oven with strawberry yumminess bubbling up against the sides, I knew we were in for some serious delight!
The strawberries penetrate down into the cake and keep it very moist. It is almost like a strawberry shortcake once you add that dollop of whipped cream. We couldn’t wait for the whipped cream. We sliced up the cake and served it warm. It was everything I dreamed it would be and more.
What Kind of Pan?
I made it in a bundt pan, but you can make it in a 13×9 sheet pan too. This Strawberry Upside Down Cake would be a perfect treat for your Valentine or any day of the week.
Gluten Free Strawberry Upside Down Cake
You can totally make this recipe gluten free! It is as simple as swapping out the yellow cake mix for a gluten free cake mix. Make sure your other ingredients are gluten free as well, and you are good to go.
Just in case you were wondering, “what is up with the marshmallows?” Here is the reason, the marshmallow melt in the baking process creating little pockets in the cake for the strawberry to fill. I didn’t have mini marshmallows so I just chopped up the big ones and it worked perfectly. Trust me…use the marshmallows! YUM!
Strawberry Upside Down Cake
- 1 18oz yellow cake mix prepared
- 2 cups strawberries crushed
- 6 oz Strawberry Jello
- 3 Cups Mini Marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F
- Spread crushed strawberries on the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking pan.
- Evenly sprinkle strawberries with the dry jello powder, and top with mini marshmallows.
- Prepare the cake mix by the directions on the box and spread evenly over the marshmallows & strawberries.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the pan to loosen the sides, and turn the cake out onto a serving tray.
- Store cake in the refrigerator.Gluten Free
- Use a gluten free cake mix for a gluten free version. Keep in mind that gluten free cake mixes are typically smaller, so it may take 2.Dairy Free
- Use a dairy free cake mix and preparation.