Looking for a quick and easy dessert? It doesn't get any simpler than this delicious Strawberry Mug Cake Recipe. Vegan and gluten free options.
Mug cake is so much fun to make, especially with kids. It can be even more fun to make without kids. You know, when they are asleep at nap time or for the night and you are craving a sweet treat. My favorite is this Strawberry Mug Cake! It's amazing how flavorful this cake turns out after just 90 seconds in the microwave. Super simple...almost too simple to make.
What Size Mug?
Mug Cake recipes all vary and don't always tell you what size mug to use. You can end up disappointed when you make a cake and only see your mug 1/2 or 1/3 full. This is a good sized mug cake recipe. It will fill up a 6 oz mug, or you can make it in an 8 oz mug (just be prepared for it to not be full).
How to Make Strawberry Mug Cake
Mug cakes are easy to make. Just measure all of the ingredients directly into your mug and give it a stir. This recipe is given its strawberry flavor from crushed freeze dried strawberries. I keep them in the pantry because I love to keep them for a snack, to mix into oatmeal, cakes, and more. If you don't have any on had that is ok. You can substitute fresh strawberries diced up but the strawberry flavor may not penetrate the cake.
Pop your mug into the microwave for about 90 seconds. Depending on your microwave and the mug it may take a little more or less time. Once the cake is done, let it cool for 1 - 2 minutes before adding frosting or whipped cream to the top and enjoy.
This recipe is great if you are vegan, because this mug cake is vegan friendly. Just substitute in your favorite milk alternative instead of regular milk. I used Almond milk. It can also be adjusted to be made gluten-free too! Check out any substitutions in the recipe card below.
What Kind of Frosting?
You can use any kind of frosting you want on a mug cake. If you are like me you hate to make a full batch for just one mug cake. You can try this Mug Cake Frosting Recipe that is the perfect size for 2 - 3 mug cakes.
Take it a step further and add in some strawberry extract or crushed freeze dried strawberries to turn it into strawberry frosting. YUM!
Strawberry Mug Cake
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tbsp freeze dried strawberries crushed (or fresh strawberries finely chopped)
- 3 tablespoons milk or milk alternative
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 strawberry for topping, optional
- In a 6-ounce mug or larger, mix all ingredients until just combined.
- The freeze dried crushed strawberries give the best strawberry taste to the mug cake. If you are using fresh strawberries you may want to consider adding a couple drops of strawberry flavoring as well.
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds to 2 minutes, watching to make sure it doesn’t spill over (depending on the size of the mug).
- Let cool one minute before eating.
- Top with mug cake frosting or whipped topping. Add a strawberry or sprinkles on top (optional)