An easy rustic bread that is so full of flavor it could be a meal itself. Try this Simple Olive Tomato Focaccia Bread Recipe.
Spring is here. My garden is in full bloom, and I already have some small tomatoes on my patio tomato plant. I can’t wait until my other tomatoes start really providing us with more tomatoes. In the mean time we are enjoying these Farmers Market tomatoes on this amazing Homemade Olive Tomato Focaccia bread!
What is Focaccia?! It is a flat oven baked Italian bread. Think bread sticks, or pizza crust. Except unlike everyday pizza crust this is bursting with flavor and texture.
Just like typical breads, you will need to mix the dough and find a warm place to allow it to rise.
Once the dough has risen, punch down and allow it to rest. Then form it into a 13 x 9 rectangle and top with fresh tomatoes and mozzarella (shredded works too, that is what we had on hand)
After about 20 minutes in the oven you end up with this amazingly flavorful bread!
Olive Tomato Focaccia
- In large mixing bowl dissolve Yeast in warm (110˚-115˚) water. Add 1 Tbsp. of the Olive Oil, Garlic Powder, Pepper, Italian Seasoning, Sugar and Salt. Stir to combine.
- Add half of the flour the Olives and mix well. Slowly add remaining flour until a tacky dough forms. You may not use all of it.
- On a lightly floured surface knead about 6 minutes, dough should be smooth and stretchy.
- Use 1 Tbsp. of Olive Oil to oil a bowl. Put the ball of dough in bowl and turn over to coat the whole ball with oil so it doesn’t dry out. Cover and put in warm place until it doubles in size, 45-60 minutes.
- Punch the dough down (firmly put your fist in the middle to deflate it, bring the edges into the center and reform the ball. Cover and let rest another 10-15 minutes.
- Stretch dough out to a 13x9 rectangular shape, the dough will be elastic and try to pull back. Be patient don’t tear the dough. Using a little of the remaining Olive Oil grease a baking sheet. Place dough on baking sheet cover and let rise until doubled, approximately 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Using your fingers make several dimples in the dough. Brush with remaining Olive Oil. Top with Tomato slices, Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake at 400˚ 18-24 minutes until cheese is melted and golden brown and delicious.