These Patriotic Jello Cupcakes are so much fun. Not only does the cake have jello but so does the frosting making these unique and delicious!
I love patriotic holidays! Red, white, and blue decor, stars and stripes, and fireworks are all my favorite! While you are enjoying all of the fanfare that comes along with loving this great nation we call home, enjoy some delicious treats! These Patriotic Jello Cupcakes are so much fun to make and even more fun to eat!
I found this Jello Frosting recipe on Happier than a pig in Mud (I love that blog name!) I thought using jello for its colors and flavors would make for some fun cupcakes and boy was I right! If you have never put jello in a cake before it adds moistness and flavor that can’t be beaten. This frosting is also a new favorite of mine. It reminds me of a meringue. SO SO GOOD!
- White Cake Mix (prepared according to package)
- 1 3 oz Box Jello (You choose FlavorJell-o Frosting)
- 1 3 oz Box Jello (You Choose Flavor)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Prepare White Cake Mix according to package.
- Separate batter into two equal bowls.
- Mix 1/2 of the 3oz box of jello into one of the bowls. (if you wanted to flavor the entire cake then you would use a full box.)
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and fill each cup with 1/3 white cake mix batter and 1/3 flavored cake mix batter.
- Bake according to package.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.jello Frosting
- Place the above ingredients except for the Boiling water, in a large GLASS OR METAL mixing bowl (OF A STAND MIXER).
- Turn the mixer on high just as you can, then add ½ cup of boiling water. Whip on high for 5-7 minutes until stiff peeks are formed.
- Makes enough frosting for 24 cupcakes
- Best eaten day it is made.
To get started on your jello cupcakes, gather your ingredients. I had one boxed cake mix left that I wanted to use, but you can use this homemade cake mix recipe too! You can even use a gluten-free mix.
Mix the cake batter according to the package in a large bowl. Separate it in half into two bowls. Leave one bowl of batter plain and in the other mix 1/2 (small box of jello). Only 1/2 anymore will make the batter too heavy. If you wanted to flavor an entire cake then you could use the whole box.
Fill cupcake liners 1/3 full with plain cake batter.
Fill the other 1/3 with jello flavored batter. Bake according to package directions.
Now comes the fun part. You aren’t going to believe this…call the kids to watch. Dump all of the frosting ingredients in the mixer except the boiling water. Turn the mixer on high. Once it is running pour in the boiling water…Stand back and watch in amazement.
Frosting about 3 minutes into mixing.
Frosting when finished. It will have the consistency of cool whip. You will know it is done when it creates stiff peaks.
Now those jello cupcakes should be coming out of the oven. Allow them to cool completely. If you are impatient (like me) you can take some help from the fridge or freezer.
Pipe on that great Jello Frosting, Sprinkles and serve!
This frosting is best eaten the day it is made. I think you can handle that 😉
Amanda is a busy mom of 3 that is constantly on the lookout for shortcuts to add more happiness to the day. She loves creating recipes, printables, DIY, and sharing family fun tips with you.