This is sure to become a favorite cookie recipe! This is the Best Chewy Ginger Cookie Recipe! One bite of these cookies and you will melt with delight!
When it comes to ginger cookies I am kind of an expert of sorts. See, I love any cookie that calls for molasses and ginger! They are my favorites during the Christmas season. That means I have tried many many recipes and all of them have been pretty good, but these!!! This is the BEST Chewy Ginger Cookie Recipe I have ever stumbled across and it is a keeper!
So what are the criteria for the best Chewy Ginger Cookie? Well, the recipe has to be easy to make (which this is!). These cookies have that chewy fresh baked cookie texture even after they have cooled. AMAZING! OH, and they are easily made gluten free and dairy free which is another HUGE plus in my house (kids with allergies.)
I should also say that even when the recipe is converted to be gluten free or dairy free you are not loosing any of the wonderful flavor or the texture. They are just as wonderful either way.
These also win the BEST Chewy Ginger Cookie for the perfect spice ratio! Not overwhelming, but the balance of ginger, clove, and cinnamon is right on the money! We have actually made several batches of these already this year and they keep flying right out of the cookie jar.
Even if you aren't baking these today you need to print, pin, or save this recipe because it is a keeper!
The Best Chewy Ginger Cookies
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat the egg into the creamed mixture. Then, stir in the water and molasses.
- Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture.
- Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- Replace flour with an all purpose gluten free baking mix.
- Make sure you use a dairy free margarine.
Find more delicious cookie recipes here on A Few Shortcuts, like these yummy easy Drop Sugar Cookies