A blast from the past. Get ready to make your cookie jar happy with this Classic Chewy M&M Cookies Recipe! Easy and Delicious!
Bake Sales, Cookie Jars, and lunchboxes will never be safe from this Classic Chewy M&M Cookie! These are one cookie that everyone is familiar with. Those colorful buttons bring joy with them and a delicious chewy cookie that everyone will flip over. This recipe is one of my favorites because you can adapt it to make them gluten free as well. So versatile and so tasty!
How to Make M&M Cookies
First things first. Preheat your oven and premix your flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl and set them aside.
In your mixer you are going to beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, and pudding mix until creamy. Then, add in the eggs. Again mixing until everything is incorporated together. Then, gradually start to add the flour mix in.
Once the flour is mixed in and you have your dough base you can fold in your M&Ms. Some may choose to do an M&M, chocolate chip mix. TOTALLY up to you.
When your dough is all happy and mixed use a cookie scoop to drop your dough on a lined cookie sheet. I like to top mine with a couple more M&M's each for color and yum factor. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
Gluten Free M&M Cookies
Making these cookies gluten free only takes a couple small substitutions. Swap out the flour for your favorite Gluten Free Flour Blend. Right now, I am loving King Arthur Gluten Free Flour. Be sure to add 1 teaspoon of xanthin gum for stability. Also, make sure you are using a gluten free vanilla extract. I love to make my own. SUPER SIMPLE.
Also, as always double check your other ingredients to ensure that they are gluten free as well.
Holiday M&M Cookies
Get in the spirit of the holiday with these cookies. Turn this tasty chewy classic into a Holiday M & M Cookie just by switching out the color of M&Ms you are using. They sell seasonal color bags which are perfect for this. You can also change up the flavors by using Peanut M&Ms or whatever flavor of M&Ms you are excited to experiment with.
How to Store M&M Cookies
M&M Cookies are a great cookie jar cookie. Simply store them in an airtight container for 5-7 days.
Freezing M&M Cookie Dough
One of my favorite tricks is freezing cookie dough. On days when I have time to whip up a batch of cookie dough, I bake a couple, and use my cookie scoop to turn the rest into dough balls. I place the extra dough balls on a cookie sheet and pop them in the freezer. Once firm (about 30 -45 minutes) I remove them and put them in a labeled freezer bag.
When you want cookies just place the frozen dough balls on a parchment lined sheet pan and bake according to the recipe. That is it. Fresh baked cookies in a snap. You can read more about freezing cookie dough here.
Classic Chewy M & M Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3.4 oz instant vanilla pudding mix 1 small box
- ¾ cup brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ cups plain chocolate candies plus more for adding to the top before baking if desired (M&M's)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, dry pudding mix, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs
- Gradually add flour mixture until smooth
- Stir in candy, you can chop some for texture.
- Using a cookie dough scoop, divide dough and roll into balls.
- Place on baking sheet and slightly press down the top
- Add more candy on top if desired
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden brown
- Remove from oven and cool slightly on the baking sheet
- Transfer to wire rack
- Store in airtight container for up to 5 days
- Substitute a gluten free flour mix and use a gluten free vanilla extract. Also, double check your other ingredients to ensure they are free of gluten