Skip the chicken nuggets and try this veggie-loaded version. This Chickpea Nuggets Recipe is quick, easy, and Healthy!
Kids love chicken nuggets, so do adults. Why not try this quick, easy, and healthy spin-off recipe; Chickpea Nuggets. This gluten-free version is full of fiber, veggies, and nutrients and equally delicious! Ready in about 30 minutes from scratch this tasty snack will be a hit with your family too!
To make these you only need a few simple ingredients.
- canned chickpeas
- green onion
- bread crumbs (gluten-free)
- onion powder
- garlic powder
There are a few kitchen supplies you will need to make chickpea nuggets.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Place a piece of parchment paper on a large baking sheet and set aside.
Place shredded zucchini in a paper towel or cheesecloth and squeeze over a bowl to remove as much liquid as possible.
Zucchini can hold a lot of moisture and too much will cause your nuggets to fall apart.
In a food processor or blender, place zucchini and all remaining ingredients and pulse to combine.
Using a measuring tablespoon, scoop out the mixture and roll it into a ball before flattening and shaping it into nuggets. Place nuggets into preheated oven and bake for 24-27 minutes, flipping halfway through to lightly brown both sides.
Allow them to cool for about 5 minutes on the tray before you serve with your favorite dipping sauces.
These Chickpea Nuggets are perfect for those eating gluten free. Simple use a gluten free bread crumbs. No bread crumbs on hand? Use crushed Rice Chex Cereal or similar.
- The mixture is wet and sticky, so be sure to wet your hands if the nugget mixture sticks to them too much while forming the nuggets.
- If you don't have a food processor, you can puree the ingredients in a blender.
- Try mixing in other veggies or seasonings to personalize the nuggets.
These are perfect for the air-fryer, although you won't be able to fit as many in at one time. Simply lay the nuggets in a single layer in your air fryer basket.
Cook at 400 and start checking them around 15 minutes for doneness. Air fryers tend to cook faster than a traditional oven.
Everyone loves a good dipping sauce. Serve these with your favorite. Here are some great suggestions.
Store any uneaten nuggets in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also make these ahead and freeze them so they can be quickly reheated for an easy snack/lunch.
Veggie Loaded Chickpea Nuggets (Gluten Free)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place a piece of parchment paper on a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Place shredded zucchini in a paper towel or clean dish towel and squeeze over a bowl to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Place zucchini and all remaining ingredients in a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Using a measuring tablespoon, scoop out the mixture and roll it into a ball before flattening and shaping it into nuggets. Place nuggets into preheated oven and bake for 24-27 minutes, flipping halfway through to lightly brown both sides.
- Allow nuggets to cool for 5 minutes before serving with your favorite dipping sauces.